Mar 15, 2013, 2:49 PM EST
Streit is a pending unrestricted free agent, and his name has been mentioned in trade speculation as the April 3 deadline approaches. But staying put seems to be his first choice.
“Everyone knows I like it here,” he told ESPNNewYork.com last week. “The locker room is great, the living on Long Island, so we’ll see.”
At 35 years old, Streit remains a big part of the Isles’ blue line. He’s averaging 25:02 of ice time and has 14 points in 27 games.
His current contract, a five-year deal, has an annual salary of $4.1 million.
It should be noted that this is not the first report of contract talks between Streit and the club. There was a similar report a month ago, and still nothing has been signed.
The Isles (12-12-3) have won four of six and sit three points out of a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Their next game is Saturday at Florida.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)