Mar 15, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
Streit is a pending unrestricted free agent, and his name has been mentioned in trade speculation as the April 3 deadline approaches. But staying put seems to be his first choice.
“Everyone knows I like it here,” he told ESPNNewYork.com last week. “The locker room is great, the living on Long Island, so we’ll see.”
At 35 years old, Streit remains a big part of the Isles’ blue line. He’s averaging 25:02 of ice time and has 14 points in 27 games.
His current contract, a five-year deal, has an annual salary of $4.1 million.
It should be noted that this is not the first report of contract talks between Streit and the club. There was a similar report a month ago, and still nothing has been signed.
The Isles (12-12-3) have won four of six and sit three points out of a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Their next game is Saturday at Florida.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 4
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31