Mar 15, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
Streit is a pending unrestricted free agent, and his name has been mentioned in trade speculation as the April 3 deadline approaches. But staying put seems to be his first choice.
“Everyone knows I like it here,” he told ESPNNewYork.com last week. “The locker room is great, the living on Long Island, so we’ll see.”
At 35 years old, Streit remains a big part of the Isles’ blue line. He’s averaging 25:02 of ice time and has 14 points in 27 games.
His current contract, a five-year deal, has an annual salary of $4.1 million.
It should be noted that this is not the first report of contract talks between Streit and the club. There was a similar report a month ago, and still nothing has been signed.
The Isles (12-12-3) have won four of six and sit three points out of a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Their next game is Saturday at Florida.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)