Mar 15, 2013, 9:55 AM EST
With the April 3 trade deadline creeping forward, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun believes that the Los Angeles Kings are interested in joining the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins as potential trade partners for Iginla.
The big advantage the Kings would have is 24-year-old goaltender Jonathan Bernier. The former 11th overall pick has the potential to become a starter, but it won’t happen in Los Angeles now that Jonathan Quick is signed through the 2021-22 campaign.
Goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff has served Calgary well for years, but he’ll turn 37 on Oct. 26, so the Flames need to make sure they’re prepared for the future.
The Kings have gone after Iginla in the past and the move would reunite the 35-year-old star forward with former Calgary Flames GM and current Kings head coach Darryl Sutter. The fact that Iginla would be able to work with someone he’s very familiar with could be vital as the potential trade would require Iginla’s approval.
All that being said, given that Iginla’s contract is set to expire this summer and Bernier’s upside, the Kings might attempt to get a draft pick out of Calgary as well.
Meanwhile, if the Flames want to kill these trade rumors, the best way to do that is to win. They beat the Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday, but have a long way to go in very little time if they want to get back into contention for a postseason spot.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 16
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)