Mar 15, 2013, 9:55 AM EST
With the April 3 trade deadline creeping forward, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun believes that the Los Angeles Kings are interested in joining the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins as potential trade partners for Iginla.
The big advantage the Kings would have is 24-year-old goaltender Jonathan Bernier. The former 11th overall pick has the potential to become a starter, but it won’t happen in Los Angeles now that Jonathan Quick is signed through the 2021-22 campaign.
Goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff has served Calgary well for years, but he’ll turn 37 on Oct. 26, so the Flames need to make sure they’re prepared for the future.
The Kings have gone after Iginla in the past and the move would reunite the 35-year-old star forward with former Calgary Flames GM and current Kings head coach Darryl Sutter. The fact that Iginla would be able to work with someone he’s very familiar with could be vital as the potential trade would require Iginla’s approval.
All that being said, given that Iginla’s contract is set to expire this summer and Bernier’s upside, the Kings might attempt to get a draft pick out of Calgary as well.
Meanwhile, if the Flames want to kill these trade rumors, the best way to do that is to win. They beat the Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday, but have a long way to go in very little time if they want to get back into contention for a postseason spot.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 23
- Mike Richards clears waivers 29
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)