Mar 15, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
With the April 3 trade deadline creeping forward, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun believes that the Los Angeles Kings are interested in joining the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins as potential trade partners for Iginla.
The big advantage the Kings would have is 24-year-old goaltender Jonathan Bernier. The former 11th overall pick has the potential to become a starter, but it won’t happen in Los Angeles now that Jonathan Quick is signed through the 2021-22 campaign.
Goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff has served Calgary well for years, but he’ll turn 37 on Oct. 26, so the Flames need to make sure they’re prepared for the future.
The Kings have gone after Iginla in the past and the move would reunite the 35-year-old star forward with former Calgary Flames GM and current Kings head coach Darryl Sutter. The fact that Iginla would be able to work with someone he’s very familiar with could be vital as the potential trade would require Iginla’s approval.
All that being said, given that Iginla’s contract is set to expire this summer and Bernier’s upside, the Kings might attempt to get a draft pick out of Calgary as well.
Meanwhile, if the Flames want to kill these trade rumors, the best way to do that is to win. They beat the Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday, but have a long way to go in very little time if they want to get back into contention for a postseason spot.
- Video: Flyers’ Voracek gets profane about disallowed goal 0
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 13
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)