Mar 15, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers will have two familiar faces in the fold when the host Detroit this evening.
While it’s unclear if either will suit up against Detroit tonight, their returns are welcome developments as the Oilers look to rebound from a massive nine-game road trip that saw them go 3-4-2.
Most eyes will be on Khabibulin, as the 40-year-old netminder could pop up on a few radars by the Apr. 3 trade deadline.
Veteran goalies are hard to come by in the current market and, despite his groin issue, Khabibulin has posted stellar numbers this year (2-2-1, 2.11 GAA, .935 save percentage) and could be a target for teams looking to add depth in net.
Khabibulin recently told the Edmonton Journal his groin injury wasn’t a byproduct of old age, but rather the position he plays.
“[Dallas’ Kari] Lehtonen’s had them and he’s only 28,” he said. “I had groin pulls at 26, 30, 35. It’s the most common thing for goalies.”
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 1
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 3
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)