Mar 15, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
The Edmonton Oilers will have two familiar faces in the fold when the host Detroit this evening.
While it’s unclear if either will suit up against Detroit tonight, their returns are welcome developments as the Oilers look to rebound from a massive nine-game road trip that saw them go 3-4-2.
Most eyes will be on Khabibulin, as the 40-year-old netminder could pop up on a few radars by the Apr. 3 trade deadline.
Veteran goalies are hard to come by in the current market and, despite his groin issue, Khabibulin has posted stellar numbers this year (2-2-1, 2.11 GAA, .935 save percentage) and could be a target for teams looking to add depth in net.
Khabibulin recently told the Edmonton Journal his groin injury wasn’t a byproduct of old age, but rather the position he plays.
“[Dallas' Kari] Lehtonen’s had them and he’s only 28,” he said. “I had groin pulls at 26, 30, 35. It’s the most common thing for goalies.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)