Mar 15, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers will have two familiar faces in the fold when the host Detroit this evening.
While it’s unclear if either will suit up against Detroit tonight, their returns are welcome developments as the Oilers look to rebound from a massive nine-game road trip that saw them go 3-4-2.
Most eyes will be on Khabibulin, as the 40-year-old netminder could pop up on a few radars by the Apr. 3 trade deadline.
Veteran goalies are hard to come by in the current market and, despite his groin issue, Khabibulin has posted stellar numbers this year (2-2-1, 2.11 GAA, .935 save percentage) and could be a target for teams looking to add depth in net.
Khabibulin recently told the Edmonton Journal his groin injury wasn’t a byproduct of old age, but rather the position he plays.
“[Dallas' Kari] Lehtonen’s had them and he’s only 28,” he said. “I had groin pulls at 26, 30, 35. It’s the most common thing for goalies.”
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)