Mar 15, 2013, 6:04 PM EST
Chris Kelly doesn’t know when he’ll back in the Bruins’ line-up after breaking his left tibia (shinbone) on Monday, but he’s trying to stay positive about his chances of playing “sooner rather than later” — possibly even by the end of the regular season.
“I’m just trying to get it better,” Kelly said, per CSNNE.com. “There’s no real time-frame. I just come here and work hard, and let the doctors and training staff do their job.
“I just want to make sure I don’t lose any strength in my leg. You just have to let it heal and hope for the best. It’s one of those things where time will let it heal on its own.”
The 32-year-old center suffered the injury in a leg-on-leg collision with Ottawa forward (and Kelly’s good friend) Chris Neil.
Kelly called the collision a “hockey play” gone wrong and says Neil “has reached out a few times and he feels pretty badly.”
“I don’t think it was malicious by any means,” said Kelly.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)