Mar 15, 2013, 6:04 PM EST
Chris Kelly doesn’t know when he’ll back in the Bruins’ line-up after breaking his left tibia (shinbone) on Monday, but he’s trying to stay positive about his chances of playing “sooner rather than later” — possibly even by the end of the regular season.
“I’m just trying to get it better,” Kelly said, per CSNNE.com. “There’s no real time-frame. I just come here and work hard, and let the doctors and training staff do their job.
“I just want to make sure I don’t lose any strength in my leg. You just have to let it heal and hope for the best. It’s one of those things where time will let it heal on its own.”
The 32-year-old center suffered the injury in a leg-on-leg collision with Ottawa forward (and Kelly’s good friend) Chris Neil.
Kelly called the collision a “hockey play” gone wrong and says Neil “has reached out a few times and he feels pretty badly.”
“I don’t think it was malicious by any means,” said Kelly.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 152
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (153)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)