Mar 15, 2013, 8:50 AM EST
David Desharnais, 26, has gone from being undrafted to a solid top-six forward. Now he’s getting rewarded for his hard work.
That’s a sizable jump over the $950,000 annually his current deal is worth in 2012-13, but it’s hard to argue against the pay raise.
After establishing himself in 2010-11, Desharnais broke out last season with 16 goals and 60 points in 81 games. He hasn’t been quite as productive in 2013, but has still scored eight goals and 16 points in 27 contests.
Desharnais would have been a restricted free agent this summer and his deal gives the Montreal Canadiens six forwards signed through at least the 2015-16 campaign. The others are Tomas Plekanec, Rene Bourque, Brandon Prust, Travis Moen, and Max Pacioretty.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)