Julien moves into No. 2 on Boston’s all-time wins list

Mar 15, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT

Boston Bruins v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

The Bruins’ 4-1 win over Florida on Thursday night did more than push them within a point of Montreal for top spot in the Eastern Conference.

The victory was No. 246 for Claude Julien behind the B’s bench, moving him past Hockey Hall of Famer Milt Schmidt for second on the franchise coaching wins list.

Not that leapfrogging coaching legends is anything new. Last season, Julien passed Gerry Cheevers (204 wins) and, earlier this season, moved passed Don Cherry (231 wins) for third spot on the list.

That said, the B’s coach acknowledged the honor associated with being in such company — though he wasn’t sure he truly belonged.

“I’ve got a tremendous amount of respect for Milt, and even for Grapes,” he told CSNNE.com. “Those guys have done a lot for the game. It’s something that’s nice, to know that you’re with them in regard to the number of wins, but certainly not willing to say I’m in the same category as them yet.”

Julien still has a ways to go before hitting the franchise’s most distinguished mark: 361 wins, compiled by the legendary Art Ross over four terms as Bruins head coach.

That might seem like a tough total to reach, but Julien has a lot going for him.

As the fourth longest-tenured coach in the NHL, he’s a staple of the franchise and his list of accolades (2009 Jack Adams, 2011 Stanley Cup) has probably earned him a longer leash than others.

He also has the respect of his players, a big key to coaching survival.

“He’s the type of coach that’s always been fair during good days and bad days,” Bruins alternate captain Patrice Bergeron told CSNNE. “He’s always been fair and he always lets you know [where you stand].

“For a guy that had shorter stints in Montreal and New Jersey it shows what can happen when you have faith in him.”

1. nunan - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Still have another gear to reach. Last night’s win was ugly.

2. habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Way to go Clod,

Too bad you tried to influence the officials with your embellishment talk last week. Especially when it was proven that the Bruins are as bad, if not more so, than every other team in the league. Those three Bruin Diving and Embellishment videos were hilarious.

But you can’t fault a guy for trying I guess, even though it may backfire on you. Accusing others of embellishment to divert attention from dirty, cheap shot play? I don’t think it’s going to work Clod. But then again, Greg’s daddy Colie is still working in the league office.

• nunan - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM

“racism!…Greg’s daddy!…Cheap shot artists!…Montreal’s history!…ahhhh!”…..yawn. Bruins are playing at 70% and only a point behind the habs with games in hand…you know you’re worried.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Why do you silly Bruin fans want to continuously bring up Montreal’s hockey history? Dumb.

And no, I’m not worried in the least. This was supposed to be a re-build year. You should be worried that a last place team has a shot at the conference title.

BTW, did you enjoy the diving videos?

• nunan - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I find the videos funny bc they come from fans of organizations that have a culture of embellishing. You can try and push that phony agenda but everyone knows that the Canadiens are known to embellish. Always have been. That’s history right there. Some video that took three years to come up with the content doesn’t change things. I know you like to think it has an effect on how people view the Bruins, but it doesn’t. I know YOU know that if someone made a video of just one player on the Habs, it would blow your bruins video’s out of the water. You know that. CJ, one of the best coaches in the game today, is right. The Habs embellish. Maybe you’re upset that the Habs let CJ go. That was dumb.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM

The difficult thing for you nunan, and the other Bruin appologist, is that there is video evidence that the Bruin’s dive and embellish. Sorry, you cannot change that. The Bruins dive. The Bruins embellish. Period. Pot meet Kettle. Hypocracy at its finest.

So why would coach Clod call a press conference to accuse others of doing what the Bruins have been proven to do also? It’s an obvious attempt to influence officials and divert attention to their style of play. Will it work? We will see, after all Colie did help Greggie a couple year ago didn’t he?

• nunan - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

It’s so obvious that you feel inadequate as a Habs fan so you pile on the team that has taken over, which happens to be the Canadien’s biggest rival. It’s called class and you can have some even if your team isn’t considered equal to the Bruins. Ya, so the Bruins have won a cup recently and owned the Habs in the playoffs, etc. The embellishing argument is so old at this point because we know the Bruins are not the problem. It’s teams like the Habs that use it as a strategy, game in and game out, to win games. The Bruins play a rough, honest game and that pisses you off bc it works. To lose AND to be known as a team that embellishes is awful. Maybe that’s why you hate the Bs so much. In the end, just like this year, the Bs approach to the game will win out over small, speedy players who embellish bc they can’t hang so the PP is their only hope. Once the Habs change, maybe they’ll actually accomplish something.

• bbgraf08 - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM

There is no way you are a real person

• theblakfox - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Habsman needs to stop trolling around. This is an article about a great coach who just made an accomplishment that should be noted. Stop trying to make every article about embellishment. Ur clearly bitter little unhappy man. Coaches dont win stanley cups by embellishing.

• itsallniceonice - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Your crying won’t bring another cup to Montreal Habsman.

3. rich859 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Just ignore the butthurt troll.

4. bigt12789 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Aww come on guys let Habsman have his fun. At this point it’s pretty much a game! anytime there is a comment from Habsman, just quickly scan through it and see how many times each of these key terms appear; “cheap-shot” “dirty” “racist” “Colin Campbell” I’m thinking 1 point for each key term and maybe 2 points for “racist”? Lets see what his high score will be by the time the playoffs roll around! In the meantime, just take satisfaction in the fact that while he claims to despise the Bruins, they are also the only team he seems to talk about on this site.

5. matthews4 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Let me get this right habsman, is calling somebody dumb while bringing up wild conspiracy theories. What makes it even better is Montreal went out and signed cheap shot players this year. They will always
    have Punk Kid who will try to fight the smallest guys on the ice but run from guys like Luchampion. Let’s not forget all the cheap shots that guy takes. As far as Claude and the diving thing goes I’m sure he is not the only one to accuse the “Hab Nots” of it. Please get some help man we are tired of being your therapist. The Bruins won the cup fair and square deal with it, move on 2 seasons ago.

6. govtminion - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Quite the accomplishment for what I’ve always believed was really a Mr. Potato-Head come to life. ;)

(Congrats, Claude!)

7. habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM

nunan,

Why would I or any other Hab fan feel inadequate compared to the Bruins? That’s truely silly. Your team has won one league assissted cup in almost four decades and you boast about your approach to the game? Is this comedy hour?

You think the embellishment arguement is getting old, but it was coach Clod who started it. I guess he hadn’t seen the THREE Bruin Diving and Embellishment videos before hand eh? Comical.

• nunan - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Your comment loses ALL credibility with that ‘league assisted’ crap. I know you don’t actually believe that. The only reason you say things like that is to troll but it doesn’t upset me or anything so what is the purpose of hurting your own argument with that? Yes, this team’s approach, as in this specific group of front office personnel and core players, has proven since 2008 that their approach is effective, hence other organizations trying to replicate. They’ve won three division crowns, a stanley cup, and came just short of a president’s trophy. Short of guaranteeing a championship, they’ve done pretty well, especially compared to the Habs who have done almost nothing. They are in a position to make a run every year. What else can I ask for? During that time, they beat the Habs multiple times in the playoffs. I know you hate it but facts are facts. It works and they’re about to get better. As for embellishment, CJ was only venting his frustration. YOU’RE the one who is trying to keep it going. We are a couple weeks removed from that game and here you are, today, posting stuff about crappy embellishment videos.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Don’t like the Bruin Diving and Embellishment videos eh? Well I’m sorry, but they aren’t going away any time soon, I can promise you that.

And of course history as you know it started in 2008. How convienent. And you teams approach, gooning-cheap shots-embellishment etc, has been used for far longer than 2008. But hey, if my team only had one cup in four decades I’d probably be very selective when looking at history as well.

Do you remember the smile on Colie’s face when little Greggie won the cup?

• nunan - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Wow..talk about missing the point…and ya, his son just won a cup..you smile naturally.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Oh I got the point, no problem. Did you?

And why to we have to restrict our history? Why can’t we have a long discussion of the Habs-Bruins playoff rivalry? Why do we need to stop at 2008 (your history limit)? Really! I think it would be fun, especially since you’re such a history buff. What-a-ya say?

• gino97 - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Love Claudes approach and the Bruin way. ROUGH AND TUMBLE hockey. Other teams can’t hang and bang so they make excuses. Buffalo got exposed last year so they went out and got muscle(not doing to well this yeat BUT didnt get pushed around by us this year) other teams like the Habs cry fould and take to the media. Only a matter of time before the scabs fall back into the basement.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Coach Clod is the only one who cried to the media.

Unfortunately for him, he hadn’t seen any of the THREE (that we know of) Bruin Diving and Embellishment video’s making the rounds on the net. He ended up looking like a complete idiot.

• nunan - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:41 PM

How is talking about the past five years a reference to “history”. See, you revert right back to this history talk bc it’s all you have right now. The Habs don’t match up. You can talk about history all you want but the truth is, anyone hates losing, and the past 5 years, the Habs haven’t matched the Bruins as a franchise. The Bruins organization has outshown the Habs organization. If saying ‘our history is better than yours’ makes you feel better, than great for you. You can talk about their storied history but nobody, including you, cares about things that happened 20+ years ago. All that matters is what happens now and right now, the Bruins are blowing the Habs out of the water as a franchise. That is what matters and I understand your frustration because 5 years of being overshadowed by your rival would get to any fan. I just wish you would accept it with some class. Stop acting like you don’t care about how the Bruins have owned the Habs recently.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM

What’s the matter nunan, you afraid of discussing real history? I can understand why you don’t want to. Really I do.

I know the Bruins have one cup in the past four decades. You would prefer to say they have one cup in the past two years. Both are accurate. But man, do you look foolish.

Leave history alone if you can’t handle it.

• nunan - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Avoiding the facts again, habsman? Let me dumb it down for you..when the Bruins beat the Habs in the playoffs, like they’ve done the past two times they’ve met, do you sit there and say to yourself, “it’s okay, we have a great history to fall back on”? Let me answer that for you, no, you don’t. You are angry that the Bs just beat your team. Be realistic for once. Nobody gets beat and then says, “ya but we have a better history”..like you are saying. All that matter is right now. Habsman, I enjoy owning you in these debates. You’re so easy to peg as a jealous habs fan (who feels inadequate) bc this is a positive article mentioning how great of a coach CJ is and you comment with “racism..cheap-shot artists..gregory’s dad…blah!). Keep them coming! I’ll continue to respond with facts and you’ll come back with generalizations about history.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Poor nunan, he can’t seem to define history to his advantage. He would rather define hockey history within the parametres of the past two to five years. Here’s a concession, your team has won 50% of the past two cups. Good for you. There, do you feel better?

Lets face it, when you and your bum pals bring up history, it’s a losing proposition. So it’s understandable why you would want to be “selective.” My advice would be to leave hockey history alone as your team is pathetic to Habs comparisons.

Feel better now?

• nunan - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Are you avoiding the argument bc you have no leg to stand on? Is that it? If it makes you feel better, since you’re so adamant about being allowed to refer to the Habs history, go ahead…have at it. You’ll make my point. Go on Habsman, free reign for you to reference whatever obscure fact about the Habs from 1940.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:44 PM

What arguement am I avoiding? We have 24 cups, you have six. You cannot argue that can you? Or is that outside yourtime-line parametres?

Actually, our history goes back over 100 years. Is it OK to say that, or am I only allowed to go back to 2008?

So, since history is so important to you, what has your team done in the past 80, 90, 100 years? Or would you rather just talk about the last two years? What is your definition of hockey history?

Do you see how foolish you look? If you want to reference the past two years, then you win OK? Feel better now? If you allow me to go back further, then I win, BIG time. Simple as that.

• nunan - Mar 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Even after I’ve dumbed down the argument and given you free reign to reference whatever BS stats from 100 years ago, you still don’t get it. The argument is that the Bruins are a better team than the Habs right now. You can’t dispute that though bc you’re too concerned with the Habs’ reputation and history. You can’t stand it because when anything positive is said about them on this site, you post your “racism, gregory’s dad, cheap-shot artists, history!” bull-crap. THATS the point Habsman. I want to hear you say it without referencing history. The Bruins are the better team right now…go on.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Ha, thats funny nunan. But hey, thanks for “dumbing it down” for me, I appreciate it.

You want me to conceed that the B’s are better than the Habs? Before the schedule has played out? What kind of stoopid idea is that? You’re obviously a special kind of moron.

Why don’t we wait until the season is finished? Is that too radical of an idea for you? The Bruins may be better. The Habs may be better. The Pens may be better than both of us. We will find out. But we’re doing fairly well for a last place team, as you and your ilk have referred to us in the past.

And lets be honest, it’s you and other morons in your fan base who brought up Montreal’s history, not me. Too late to back track, although I don’t blame you. Your team”s history is laughable when taken in full context. But the last two year have been gloryful, right? Even though you didn’t make it to the conference final last year. You remember Joel Ward don’t you?

• nunan - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:03 AM

You are truly an idiot Habsman. You have no idea what is being asked of you….you just respond with random BS and call it a day. Pay attention so we can make more progress next time. You are clearly missing the point. you look foolish.

• habsman - Mar 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Where did you go nunan? Did you have a nap? I really missed you.

Let me know when you want to talk real history, without limits. But I doubt you’ll want to do that, considering how painful it would be.

What about Joel Ward? Do you remember him? I’ll give you some links if you’ve forgotten.

• nunan - Mar 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I notice it took you a day to respond and you still didn’t address anything of value. We’ll talk when you can acknowledge the Bs are the best right now. If you want to talk about how great the Habs were 100 years ago, I’ll let you. Feels good to be in first place..

• habsman - Mar 16, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Oh look who’s back, nunan the history major!

Hey, congrats, you are (temp) ahead of a last place team. Good for you! Still having a hard time defining history I see. I understand, honestly I do. It isn’t a pretty picture is it. Better to limit it to 2-5 years.

I see your Bruins were up to their cheap shot, sucker punching ways again today. But I guess two vs. one is the way things are handled where you come from eh?

And where is the love for Joel? Don’t you remember him?

• nunan - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Oh look who decided to respond. Still avoiding the task at hand and still obsessed with me, Nunan, because he’s developed a feeling of inadequacy these past few years. I really do understand your insecurity. Watched Ribeiro get his butt kicked by Marchand yesterday. Brought back memories of him wiggling around on the ice as a Hab. It is really impressive how the habs culture of playing ‘the victim’ seeps into a player’s game, even if they never acted that way before. I’m not surprised by the fans following that mentality too..happened when chara legally decapitated your boy and everyone called the cops. I suspect you were one of them. Again, for the fourth time, i’ll await your response to the actual debate here. I know you’ll continue to avoid the subject though. You’re such a softy. Can’t dispute the facts so you continue to focus on the Hab’s history, like it proves anything.

8. savoirlaire - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Habsman is the village idiot, the laughing stock that everybody hates. And that is not just Bruins fans…everybody sees him for the total moron that he is.

Cue the brainless response…

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I’m deeply hurt by those comments. I’ve got feelings don’t you know.

• nunan - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I like that you don’t realize people don’t respect a thing you say.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I could not, care any less than I do, what azz hole Bruin fans think. Do I need to repeat that?

• nunan - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:43 PM

yes…but with more conviction this time!

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Naw, I think I gave it enough emphasis.

9. valoisjoeybfeld69 - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

So, why did les Canadiens fire Claude? I guess they were as patient with him as they have been done to impatient with rookies, until this year of course. It’s shocking to see that they gave Galchenyuk and Galagher a jersey this year, an from a hockey perspective it’s paid off. Now if some of the d men in Hamilton can develop the habs will be set for years to come on D and between the pipes.

• itsallniceonice - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM

No one is here to talk about the Habs. Move along.

10. gino97 - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Claude didn’t see the video Habsman because he doesnt like to spend his time watching fake youtube videos. He’s kinda busy preparing for another cup victory. Hey why are canadien teams drinking out of jugs?…because all the cups are in America.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Oh those video’s aren’t fake gino, they’re real actual dives and embellishment by Bruin players. You know, the kind of stuff you accuse others of doing.

Six cups in 90 years? going by the average, Clod has about 20 years to prepare for the next one. Good idea to get a head start I guess.

• mizbinboston - Mar 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I come in peace, habsman. White flags all around. You from Ontario? Genuinely curious–I’ve always wondered where the Montreal/Toronto fan line starts to blur.
        Why on earth are you picking on the Bruins? Everyone knows the easiest way to rile up Boston fans is to rest on your laurels and brag about how many more trophies you’ve won. See: The Yankees. Give it a rest.
        The fact Julien couldn’t get the job done speaks more about your team’s current ownership and management than it does his abilities. Same with Toronto. It’s absolutely sickening watching these historic Original Six Canadian teams embarrass themselves and being run the way they are, but at some point it will turn.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Too funny mizbinboston. My bark is actually worse than my bite.

Why am I picking on the Bruins? That’s kind of funny considering I’m outnumbered by fifty to one on this blog. But I wouldn’t want it any other way. I love to annoy Bruin fans. And it’s so easy. They hate the Habs as much as I hate the B’s. And although they won’t admit it, they are always measuring themselves against the Habs. That’s what makes it the best rivalry in pro sports.

As to Julien, he was here under previous ownership. He was fired without good reason IMO. It’s obvious that he has held a grudge. Maybe rightfully so.

There is no line of demarkation for Habs (or Leaf) fans, other than: Ontario=Leafs, Quebec=Habs. I live east of Quebec, but our fan base stretches from coast to coast, as do the Leafs. It’ an original six thing.

Been a great year so far. Enjoy the rest of the schedule!

• mizbinboston - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

@habsman
        Dude, of course the bark’s worse. Not my question. So where you from? I’m a Wings fan and despite being disowned several years back for my traitor New England accent I was still born in Detroit, Michigan and know my Ontario geography. After all, Windsor is south of us. Red Wings have Windsor, maybe/possibly Sarnia, and whatever is up the coast. Obviously not Hamilton. Please explain why you’re a Habs fan. And for the record, it’s a huge deal when Toronto vs Montreal plays on Hockey Night In Canada even for us Detroit fans. We watch it.

Don’t mess with the Bruins fans. Just don’t. Especially when you have nothing to go on.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Dude?

Where am I from? I’m from a land far, far away. Have you heard of it?

Don’t mess with Bruin fans? Why, are you going to do something about it? No, I don’t think so.

Anything else?

• mizbinboston - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Nah, Boston can stick up for itself.
        Just never heard a Quebecois refer to Claude as “Clod.”
        So where are you really from?

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM

It really doesn’t matter mizbin, does it? Or were you planning on sending a xmas card?

• mizbinboston - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

So should I send your “Sorry for your loss” card in a White/Blue/Red scheme or Blue/White? Your call. I don’t want to mess with protocol and I obviously have to get back to making sammiches in the kitchen.

• habsman - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Can’t go wrong with Blanc/Bleu/Rouge, now can you?

• mizbinboston - Mar 16, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Ontario = Leafs.
        You do know where Ottawa is located, right? It being your capitol and all.

• habsman - Mar 16, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Of course, Ottawa is a beautiful city. Especially in the spring.

11. itsallniceonice - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Nice accomplishment for Julien. He’s had a lot of criticism here with the three straight years of game 7 losses and constantly rolling four lines. Glad he has stuck around though. The team is very balanced and fun to watch every night. The game 7 losses are certainly a trend but better than being swept every year I suppose.

12. mizbinboston - Mar 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Tip of the hat to you, Claude. Bruins are a helluva scrappy/talented team and it’s been fun watching them the last few years.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches