Mar 15, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
The New York Islanders will be without forward David Ullstrom for three weeks — possibly a month — after he injured his groin in a win over Tampa Bay on Thursday.
Ullstrom, 23, has appeared in 20 games for the Isles this year, notching 2G-3A-5PTS. He was demoted to AHL Bridgeport on Mar. 11 but was recalled two days later as a replacement for Michael Grabner, who was placed on IR with an upper-body injury.
Now, the Isles need to find an injury replacement for their injury replacement.
It’s unclear exactly who New York will bring up from the Tigers. Nino Neiderreiter could get the nod, but he was passed over for promotion last time in favor of Ullstrom.
Brock Nelson or David Persson could also be promoted, as they currently sit second and fifth on the team in scoring, respectively.
UPDATE: Head coach Jack Capuano says there are no call-ups planned at this time to replace Ullstrom.
Whatever the case, the Isles will need someone to jump into the lineup at a crucial stage of the season.
They sit just three points back of Winnipeg for eighth in the Eastern Conference and, after Saturday’s game in Florida, begin a crucial four-game homestand against the Senators, Canadiens, Penguins and Panthers.
It’s the Isles’ last big homestand of the season.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (60)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)