Mar 15, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
The New York Islanders will be without forward David Ullstrom for three weeks — possibly a month — after he injured his groin in a win over Tampa Bay on Thursday.
Ullstrom, 23, has appeared in 20 games for the Isles this year, notching 2G-3A-5PTS. He was demoted to AHL Bridgeport on Mar. 11 but was recalled two days later as a replacement for Michael Grabner, who was placed on IR with an upper-body injury.
Now, the Isles need to find an injury replacement for their injury replacement.
It’s unclear exactly who New York will bring up from the Tigers. Nino Neiderreiter could get the nod, but he was passed over for promotion last time in favor of Ullstrom.
Brock Nelson or David Persson could also be promoted, as they currently sit second and fifth on the team in scoring, respectively.
UPDATE: Head coach Jack Capuano says there are no call-ups planned at this time to replace Ullstrom.
Whatever the case, the Isles will need someone to jump into the lineup at a crucial stage of the season.
They sit just three points back of Winnipeg for eighth in the Eastern Conference and, after Saturday’s game in Florida, begin a crucial four-game homestand against the Senators, Canadiens, Penguins and Panthers.
It’s the Isles’ last big homestand of the season.
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 0
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 2
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 14
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 45
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)