Mar 15, 2013, 1:31 PM EST
The New York Islanders will be without forward David Ullstrom for three weeks — possibly a month — after he injured his groin in a win over Tampa Bay on Thursday.
Ullstrom, 23, has appeared in 20 games for the Isles this year, notching 2G-3A-5PTS. He was demoted to AHL Bridgeport on Mar. 11 but was recalled two days later as a replacement for Michael Grabner, who was placed on IR with an upper-body injury.
Now, the Isles need to find an injury replacement for their injury replacement.
It’s unclear exactly who New York will bring up from the Tigers. Nino Neiderreiter could get the nod, but he was passed over for promotion last time in favor of Ullstrom.
Brock Nelson or David Persson could also be promoted, as they currently sit second and fifth on the team in scoring, respectively.
UPDATE: Head coach Jack Capuano says there are no call-ups planned at this time to replace Ullstrom.
Whatever the case, the Isles will need someone to jump into the lineup at a crucial stage of the season.
They sit just three points back of Winnipeg for eighth in the Eastern Conference and, after Saturday’s game in Florida, begin a crucial four-game homestand against the Senators, Canadiens, Penguins and Panthers.
It’s the Isles’ last big homestand of the season.
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 8
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 9
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 71
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 33
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)