Mar 15, 2013, 1:31 PM EST
The New York Islanders will be without forward David Ullstrom for three weeks — possibly a month — after he injured his groin in a win over Tampa Bay on Thursday.
Ullstrom, 23, has appeared in 20 games for the Isles this year, notching 2G-3A-5PTS. He was demoted to AHL Bridgeport on Mar. 11 but was recalled two days later as a replacement for Michael Grabner, who was placed on IR with an upper-body injury.
Now, the Isles need to find an injury replacement for their injury replacement.
It’s unclear exactly who New York will bring up from the Tigers. Nino Neiderreiter could get the nod, but he was passed over for promotion last time in favor of Ullstrom.
Brock Nelson or David Persson could also be promoted, as they currently sit second and fifth on the team in scoring, respectively.
UPDATE: Head coach Jack Capuano says there are no call-ups planned at this time to replace Ullstrom.
Whatever the case, the Isles will need someone to jump into the lineup at a crucial stage of the season.
They sit just three points back of Winnipeg for eighth in the Eastern Conference and, after Saturday’s game in Florida, begin a crucial four-game homestand against the Senators, Canadiens, Penguins and Panthers.
It’s the Isles’ last big homestand of the season.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 43
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)