Mar 15, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
The New York Islanders will be without forward David Ullstrom for three weeks — possibly a month — after he injured his groin in a win over Tampa Bay on Thursday.
Ullstrom, 23, has appeared in 20 games for the Isles this year, notching 2G-3A-5PTS. He was demoted to AHL Bridgeport on Mar. 11 but was recalled two days later as a replacement for Michael Grabner, who was placed on IR with an upper-body injury.
Now, the Isles need to find an injury replacement for their injury replacement.
It’s unclear exactly who New York will bring up from the Tigers. Nino Neiderreiter could get the nod, but he was passed over for promotion last time in favor of Ullstrom.
Brock Nelson or David Persson could also be promoted, as they currently sit second and fifth on the team in scoring, respectively.
UPDATE: Head coach Jack Capuano says there are no call-ups planned at this time to replace Ullstrom.
Whatever the case, the Isles will need someone to jump into the lineup at a crucial stage of the season.
They sit just three points back of Winnipeg for eighth in the Eastern Conference and, after Saturday’s game in Florida, begin a crucial four-game homestand against the Senators, Canadiens, Penguins and Panthers.
It’s the Isles’ last big homestand of the season.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (81)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games