Mar 15, 2013, 3:24 PM EST
According to Ilya Bryzgalov, the Flyers are “done” if they lose to New Jersey tonight.
Devils coach Pete DeBoer would love nothing more.
“We want to try to bury the teams below us as quickly as possible,” DeBoer said, per NHL.com. “Doesn’t matter whether it’s Philadelphia or Florida or anybody else — you get an opportunity to separate yourself from the teams below you, you want to take full advantage of that. It’s all about getting points right now. It’s not necessarily about the opponent; it’s about putting points on the board and trying to solidify a spot in the top eight.”
A surprise team to many after Zach Parise left for Minnesota this summer, the Devils (13-9-5) sit sixth in the Eastern Conference, three points clear of the ninth-place Rangers. With three wins in their last four, New Jersey seems to have righted the ship after a six-game winless skid that was marked by poor goaltending from Johan Hedberg.
Hedberg stopped 23 of 25 Philly shots in Wednesday’s 5-2 victory.
And the play in front of the goaltender has also improved, according to center Travis Zajac.
“We’re better than we were a couple weeks ago,” Zajac told NHL.com. “We’re starting to win more battles, starting to make more plays. We’re back to frustrating teams and being aggressive and in teams’ faces. When we’re assertive and making it tough for teams, it’s better for us.”
Nov 29, 2014, 12:58 AM EST
Buffalo scored the game-winner during the ensuing power play.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:59 PM EST
Alex Pietrangelo had 10 shots on goal, which was almost as much as Edmonton.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:37 PM EST
Ottawa has a rough schedule ahead of it.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:07 PM EST
The Red Wings have now won three straight contests.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
Hope seems like a distant memory.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:11 PM EST
They’ve moved past their disappointing 2013-14 campaign.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:48 PM EST
Pittsburgh has been dominant outside of its division.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:16 PM EST
Not his finest moment.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
He’s also approaching fifth place on the points leaderboard.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:02 PM EST
You don’t see many goals that look like this.
Nov 28, 2014, 7:27 PM EST
That’s on top of Johnny Boychuk’s injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
“We just didn’t execute tonight.”
Nov 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
The Blackhawks defenseman was able to stay in the game.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
He was quite composed when he said it, for the record.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Anaheim forward didn’t take another shift for the remainder of the opening frame.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Veteran d-man wasn’t playing much for Tampa Bay.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Oilers looked better last night in Nashville.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:04 PM EST
Cam Talbot shuts the door again, Blueshirts win 3-0.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
“Just that idea destroys the whole credibility of an organization.”
Nov 28, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Even after Semyon Varlamov returns from injury.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)