Mar 15, 2013, 3:24 PM EST
According to Ilya Bryzgalov, the Flyers are “done” if they lose to New Jersey tonight.
Devils coach Pete DeBoer would love nothing more.
“We want to try to bury the teams below us as quickly as possible,” DeBoer said, per NHL.com. “Doesn’t matter whether it’s Philadelphia or Florida or anybody else — you get an opportunity to separate yourself from the teams below you, you want to take full advantage of that. It’s all about getting points right now. It’s not necessarily about the opponent; it’s about putting points on the board and trying to solidify a spot in the top eight.”
A surprise team to many after Zach Parise left for Minnesota this summer, the Devils (13-9-5) sit sixth in the Eastern Conference, three points clear of the ninth-place Rangers. With three wins in their last four, New Jersey seems to have righted the ship after a six-game winless skid that was marked by poor goaltending from Johan Hedberg.
Hedberg stopped 23 of 25 Philly shots in Wednesday’s 5-2 victory.
And the play in front of the goaltender has also improved, according to center Travis Zajac.
“We’re better than we were a couple weeks ago,” Zajac told NHL.com. “We’re starting to win more battles, starting to make more plays. We’re back to frustrating teams and being aggressive and in teams’ faces. When we’re assertive and making it tough for teams, it’s better for us.”
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Minnesota’s lost four straight, and six of its last eight.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Winnipeg has won three of four.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The Devils enter the Christmas holidays on a two-game skid.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Made 26 saves for the shutout.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Tampa rookie Andrei Vasilevskiy picked up his second career win.
Dec 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Bernier made 43 saves for the shutout
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)