Mar 15, 2013, 8:03 AM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets have gone nine games without a regulation loss after their 2-1 shootout defeat against the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday.
While that might pale in comparison to Chicago’s 24-game points streak earlier this season, it’s still the best the Blue Jackets have ever done, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
“Whether it’s our goaltender or us playing well as a team, we’re in games,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said. “We’re competing and battling. We’re getting a point, but we need two points.”
That’s been the problem with the Blue Jackets’ streak. While Chicago suffered just three one-point losses during their 24-game run, Columbus has only actually won five times in their last nine contests.
Their streak is still impressive, but they had already dug such a deep hole for themselves in the race for a playoffs spot, so those one-point defeats really aren’t sufficient for Columbus at this stage.
You can view highlights of the game below:
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 48
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 88
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 5
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 176
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (176)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)