Mar 14, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
Just when it seemed things couldn’t get any worse for the Florida Panthers, they got worse.
Versteeg, 26, played a key role in snapping Florida’s lengthy playoff drought a season ago, notching 23G-31A-54PTS in 71 games and finishing third on the team in scoring.
This season, though, had been largely frustrating.
Versteeg’s only played in 10 of Florida’s 27 games after dealing with both groin and chest injuries. On Tuesday — just his third game back from the chest ailment — he was hit by Tampa Bay’s Radko Gudas and forced to leave the contest with the knee injury that would ultimately end his season.
It was just the latest for a Florida team that’s had health issues all season long.
Stephen Weiss, the longest-tenured player on the roster, was lost for the year with a wrist injury. Goalie Jose Theodore is unlikely to return after tearing his groin while Ed Jovanovski, Dmitry Kulikov, Scottie Upshall and Mike Weaver are all currently on injured reserve.
As a result, the Panthers have been forced to dig deep into the organizational depth chart for bodies — unearthing the likes of Nolan Yonkman (a 31-year-old journeyman that’s played six games) and Jon Rheault (a 26-year-old rookie).
The Vertseeg and Weiss injuries also hurt off the ice.
Both were rumored to be potential trade assets at the deadline, given Florida is all but out of the playoff picture. Weiss is an impending UFA and Versteeg has three seasons remaining on his four-year, $17.6 million deal.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT
But are any teams mulling his return?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Where he’ll work as a community liaison.
Jul 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
“I want to go free.”
Jul 27, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
24-year-old forward would require waivers to be sent down…
Jul 27, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
“I’ll have to start thinking about it more and more in the next couple of weeks.”
Jul 27, 2015, 4:28 PM EDT
Hence the six-year, $39 million contract.
Jul 27, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Looking to become a full-time NHLer after suffering a series of injuries at the start his pro career.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
The alignment debate rages on.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
Russ Brandon takes over.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
Click to see the full list.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Click to see who’s still left.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Hearing scheduled for Wednesday.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT
No arbitrator required.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
He calls it the six-year, $25 million contract “good for both sides.”
Jul 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Jul 26, 2015, 11:02 PM EDT
The only certainty is short-term.
Jul 26, 2015, 9:57 PM EDT
Playing between Gabriel Landeskog and Nathan MacKinnon would excite plenty of people.
Jul 26, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Holdovers are noticing a summer of improvements for Buffalo.
Jul 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The two sides avoided arbitration on Sunday.
Jul 26, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Columbus hasn’t had a long history of being a “cap team.”
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)