Mar 14, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
Just when it seemed things couldn’t get any worse for the Florida Panthers, they got worse.
Versteeg, 26, played a key role in snapping Florida’s lengthy playoff drought a season ago, notching 23G-31A-54PTS in 71 games and finishing third on the team in scoring.
This season, though, had been largely frustrating.
Versteeg’s only played in 10 of Florida’s 27 games after dealing with both groin and chest injuries. On Tuesday — just his third game back from the chest ailment — he was hit by Tampa Bay’s Radko Gudas and forced to leave the contest with the knee injury that would ultimately end his season.
It was just the latest for a Florida team that’s had health issues all season long.
Stephen Weiss, the longest-tenured player on the roster, was lost for the year with a wrist injury. Goalie Jose Theodore is unlikely to return after tearing his groin while Ed Jovanovski, Dmitry Kulikov, Scottie Upshall and Mike Weaver are all currently on injured reserve.
As a result, the Panthers have been forced to dig deep into the organizational depth chart for bodies — unearthing the likes of Nolan Yonkman (a 31-year-old journeyman that’s played six games) and Jon Rheault (a 26-year-old rookie).
The Vertseeg and Weiss injuries also hurt off the ice.
Both were rumored to be potential trade assets at the deadline, given Florida is all but out of the playoff picture. Weiss is an impending UFA and Versteeg has three seasons remaining on his four-year, $17.6 million deal.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Joins Pavel Datsyuk and Erik Cole on the shelf.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Mar 27, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Vancouver laid another egg last night versus the Avs.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Because things aren’t trending in a good direction for him.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Three straight road wins has the Kings looking postseason-bound.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
“We’re on the course that we set two months ago when we made the decision that Ells was going to be the guy, and we’re not changing that course.”
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Red Wings host the Sharks tomorrow.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Russian sophomore has missed nearly the entire season with a hip ailment.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s been assigned to Hershey on a conditioning assignment.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Changes to the bylaws allow the Philly defenseman to be inducted.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
The group is nearing its goal of securing 10,000 season ticket deposits.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 30
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 27
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)