Mar 14, 2013, 12:37 AM EDT
The Minnesota Wild haven’t qualified for the playoffs since 2008.
Yet after signing forward Zach Parise and defenseman Ryan Suter to identical 13-year $98 million contracts during the summer free agency period, and now challenging the Vancouver Canucks for the Northwest Division lead, there appears to be a growing confidence in the Wild organization.
“I see a Stanley Cup championship. My hope is that it happens soon,” Wild owner Craig Leipold told the St. Paul Area Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday, according to TwinCities.com.
“It may not be this year. It may not be next year. But the beautiful thing is we have a window now that’s not going to close in two or three years. We’ve got a window that’s going to be opened up for five, six or seven years.”
The Wild are coming to an interesting juncture in their schedule.
They have a home-and-home with the Colorado Avalanche, going Thursday and Saturday.
They also play the Canucks in what could be a pivotal Northwest showdown next Monday.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)