Mar 14, 2013, 12:37 AM EDT
The Minnesota Wild haven’t qualified for the playoffs since 2008.
Yet after signing forward Zach Parise and defenseman Ryan Suter to identical 13-year $98 million contracts during the summer free agency period, and now challenging the Vancouver Canucks for the Northwest Division lead, there appears to be a growing confidence in the Wild organization.
“I see a Stanley Cup championship. My hope is that it happens soon,” Wild owner Craig Leipold told the St. Paul Area Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday, according to TwinCities.com.
“It may not be this year. It may not be next year. But the beautiful thing is we have a window now that’s not going to close in two or three years. We’ve got a window that’s going to be opened up for five, six or seven years.”
The Wild are coming to an interesting juncture in their schedule.
They have a home-and-home with the Colorado Avalanche, going Thursday and Saturday.
They also play the Canucks in what could be a pivotal Northwest showdown next Monday.
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 0
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 6
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 27
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)