Mar 14, 2013, 11:02 PM EST
By beating them 3-1 on Thursday, the Winnipeg Jets took the New York Rangers’ eighth spot in the East – for now, of course.
Nik Antropov started off the scoring with a power-play marker in the first, while Ryan Callahan tied things up early in the second period. Antti Miettinen notched the game-winner 14:52 into the middle frame while Andrew Ladd scored the empty-netter.
As usual with the NHL standings, it’s important to consider context, particularly the fact that the Rangers hold a game in hand. Here’s a closer look at the two teams’ records after the Jets beat the Rangers:
Jets overall record: 14-11-2 (30 points) in 27 games played, 6-6-0 at home, 8-5-2 on the road
Rangers’ overall record: 13-11-2 (28 points) in 26 games played, 9-5-1 at home, 4-6-1 on the road
Beyond New York’s game in hand, it’s interesting to note the disparity in home vs. road games. The Rangers have played 15 of 26 games at Madison Square Garden while the Jets have played 15 of 27 away from home. Even with the Jets’ surprisingly mediocre record in Winnipeg in mind, that could be a factor if it all comes down to the two teams earning one of the final spots.
Whether John Tortorella compliments them or not, it looks like the Rangers need to take the Jets seriously.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 54
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 40
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)