Mar 14, 2013, 11:02 PM EST
By beating them 3-1 on Thursday, the Winnipeg Jets took the New York Rangers’ eighth spot in the East – for now, of course.
Nik Antropov started off the scoring with a power-play marker in the first, while Ryan Callahan tied things up early in the second period. Antti Miettinen notched the game-winner 14:52 into the middle frame while Andrew Ladd scored the empty-netter.
As usual with the NHL standings, it’s important to consider context, particularly the fact that the Rangers hold a game in hand. Here’s a closer look at the two teams’ records after the Jets beat the Rangers:
Jets overall record: 14-11-2 (30 points) in 27 games played, 6-6-0 at home, 8-5-2 on the road
Rangers’ overall record: 13-11-2 (28 points) in 26 games played, 9-5-1 at home, 4-6-1 on the road
Beyond New York’s game in hand, it’s interesting to note the disparity in home vs. road games. The Rangers have played 15 of 26 games at Madison Square Garden while the Jets have played 15 of 27 away from home. Even with the Jets’ surprisingly mediocre record in Winnipeg in mind, that could be a factor if it all comes down to the two teams earning one of the final spots.
Whether John Tortorella compliments them or not, it looks like the Rangers need to take the Jets seriously.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)