Mar 14, 2013, 11:02 PM EDT
By beating them 3-1 on Thursday, the Winnipeg Jets took the New York Rangers’ eighth spot in the East – for now, of course.
Nik Antropov started off the scoring with a power-play marker in the first, while Ryan Callahan tied things up early in the second period. Antti Miettinen notched the game-winner 14:52 into the middle frame while Andrew Ladd scored the empty-netter.
As usual with the NHL standings, it’s important to consider context, particularly the fact that the Rangers hold a game in hand. Here’s a closer look at the two teams’ records after the Jets beat the Rangers:
Jets overall record: 14-11-2 (30 points) in 27 games played, 6-6-0 at home, 8-5-2 on the road
Rangers’ overall record: 13-11-2 (28 points) in 26 games played, 9-5-1 at home, 4-6-1 on the road
Beyond New York’s game in hand, it’s interesting to note the disparity in home vs. road games. The Rangers have played 15 of 26 games at Madison Square Garden while the Jets have played 15 of 27 away from home. Even with the Jets’ surprisingly mediocre record in Winnipeg in mind, that could be a factor if it all comes down to the two teams earning one of the final spots.
Whether John Tortorella compliments them or not, it looks like the Rangers need to take the Jets seriously.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 2
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 30
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 24
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 15
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 52
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 28
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)