Mar 14, 2013, 11:02 PM EDT
By beating them 3-1 on Thursday, the Winnipeg Jets took the New York Rangers’ eighth spot in the East – for now, of course.
Nik Antropov started off the scoring with a power-play marker in the first, while Ryan Callahan tied things up early in the second period. Antti Miettinen notched the game-winner 14:52 into the middle frame while Andrew Ladd scored the empty-netter.
As usual with the NHL standings, it’s important to consider context, particularly the fact that the Rangers hold a game in hand. Here’s a closer look at the two teams’ records after the Jets beat the Rangers:
Jets overall record: 14-11-2 (30 points) in 27 games played, 6-6-0 at home, 8-5-2 on the road
Rangers’ overall record: 13-11-2 (28 points) in 26 games played, 9-5-1 at home, 4-6-1 on the road
Beyond New York’s game in hand, it’s interesting to note the disparity in home vs. road games. The Rangers have played 15 of 26 games at Madison Square Garden while the Jets have played 15 of 27 away from home. Even with the Jets’ surprisingly mediocre record in Winnipeg in mind, that could be a factor if it all comes down to the two teams earning one of the final spots.
Whether John Tortorella compliments them or not, it looks like the Rangers need to take the Jets seriously.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)