Mar 14, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
With the Flyers falling further and further out of the playoff picture, general manager Paul Holmgren gave his head coach, Peter Laviolette, a vote of confidence today.
When asked if Laviolette was on the hot seat — a notion that only gained momentum with Philadelphia’s lackluster performance and loss last night in New Jersey — Holmgren replied he didn’t think so.
“The coaches have done a good job,” said Holmgren, per CSNPhilly.com. “Right now, our team needs to play better. We’re making a lot of mistakes. A lot from our lack of competitiveness. Our team needs to compete better. I don’t like the way we’re playing right now, but I don’t necessarily blame that on the coach.”
Holmgren added that he hadn’t “even thought about” firing Laviolette — “You guys keep asking these questions about the coach and it hasn’t even entered my mind.”
If Holmgren blames anyone for the team’s win-loss record, it’s the players — “They’re the ones on the ice.”
The Flyers are on the ice again tomorrow at home to New Jersey. With just 20 games to go and a whole lot of ground to make up, they can’t afford another stinker.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 62
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)