Mar 14, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
Nokelainen, 27, hasn’t played since last season due to a lingering back issue — but he’s reportedly recovered, hence the move to put him on waivers.
Assuming he clears, Nokelainen will head to AHL Hamilton for a conditioning assignment.
The Finnish center, a former first round pick of the Islanders in 2004, played in 51 games for Montreal last season, scoring 3G-3A-6PTS while averaging 8:35 of ice time per contest.
The Canadiens kept him from going to free agency last summer, signing him to a one-year, $575,000 deal just prior to July 1.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 0
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 6
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)