Mar 14, 2013, 4:53 PM EST
Nokelainen, 27, hasn’t played since last season due to a lingering back issue — but he’s reportedly recovered, hence the move to put him on waivers.
Assuming he clears, Nokelainen will head to AHL Hamilton for a conditioning assignment.
The Finnish center, a former first round pick of the Islanders in 2004, played in 51 games for Montreal last season, scoring 3G-3A-6PTS while averaging 8:35 of ice time per contest.
The Canadiens kept him from going to free agency last summer, signing him to a one-year, $575,000 deal just prior to July 1.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5