Mar 14, 2013, 4:53 PM EST
Nokelainen, 27, hasn’t played since last season due to a lingering back issue — but he’s reportedly recovered, hence the move to put him on waivers.
Assuming he clears, Nokelainen will head to AHL Hamilton for a conditioning assignment.
The Finnish center, a former first round pick of the Islanders in 2004, played in 51 games for Montreal last season, scoring 3G-3A-6PTS while averaging 8:35 of ice time per contest.
The Canadiens kept him from going to free agency last summer, signing him to a one-year, $575,000 deal just prior to July 1.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11