Mar 14, 2013, 4:53 PM EST
Nokelainen, 27, hasn’t played since last season due to a lingering back issue — but he’s reportedly recovered, hence the move to put him on waivers.
Assuming he clears, Nokelainen will head to AHL Hamilton for a conditioning assignment.
The Finnish center, a former first round pick of the Islanders in 2004, played in 51 games for Montreal last season, scoring 3G-3A-6PTS while averaging 8:35 of ice time per contest.
The Canadiens kept him from going to free agency last summer, signing him to a one-year, $575,000 deal just prior to July 1.
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 0
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 10
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 51
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (38)