Mar 14, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Marian Gaborik played just 14:56 during Tuesday’s 3-1 loss to Buffalo. The Rangers forward who scored 41 times last season was relegated to the third line and admitted after the game that he has to play better.
But no matter how bad it gets, Gaborik’s agent says his client won’t request a trade.
“Marian is a team guy,” Tobin Wright told ESPN’s Craig Custance. “He’s not the type of guy who would ask out.”
Gaborik has one season remaining on a five-year, $37.5 million contract. The 31-year-old has eight goals in 25 games so far this season, but has managed just 20 shots in his last nine games. He’s only scored once in his last 11 games.
Despite his current struggles and a substantial $7.5 million cap hit, with three 40-plus goal seasons on his resume, Gaborik would be a commodity on the trade market, whether prior to the April 3 deadline or over the summer. Per terms of his contract, he’s apparently submitted a list of eight teams to which the Rangers can send him.
“The bottom line is I’ve just got to work hard and keep going and try to stay positive,” said Gaborik, per The Record.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 9
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 40
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)