Mar 14, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Marian Gaborik played just 14:56 during Tuesday’s 3-1 loss to Buffalo. The Rangers forward who scored 41 times last season was relegated to the third line and admitted after the game that he has to play better.
But no matter how bad it gets, Gaborik’s agent says his client won’t request a trade.
“Marian is a team guy,” Tobin Wright told ESPN’s Craig Custance. “He’s not the type of guy who would ask out.”
Gaborik has one season remaining on a five-year, $37.5 million contract. The 31-year-old has eight goals in 25 games so far this season, but has managed just 20 shots in his last nine games. He’s only scored once in his last 11 games.
Despite his current struggles and a substantial $7.5 million cap hit, with three 40-plus goal seasons on his resume, Gaborik would be a commodity on the trade market, whether prior to the April 3 deadline or over the summer. Per terms of his contract, he’s apparently submitted a list of eight teams to which the Rangers can send him.
“The bottom line is I’ve just got to work hard and keep going and try to stay positive,” said Gaborik, per The Record.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)