Mar 14, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
Marian Gaborik played just 14:56 during Tuesday’s 3-1 loss to Buffalo. The Rangers forward who scored 41 times last season was relegated to the third line and admitted after the game that he has to play better.
But no matter how bad it gets, Gaborik’s agent says his client won’t request a trade.
“Marian is a team guy,” Tobin Wright told ESPN’s Craig Custance. “He’s not the type of guy who would ask out.”
Gaborik has one season remaining on a five-year, $37.5 million contract. The 31-year-old has eight goals in 25 games so far this season, but has managed just 20 shots in his last nine games. He’s only scored once in his last 11 games.
Despite his current struggles and a substantial $7.5 million cap hit, with three 40-plus goal seasons on his resume, Gaborik would be a commodity on the trade market, whether prior to the April 3 deadline or over the summer. Per terms of his contract, he’s apparently submitted a list of eight teams to which the Rangers can send him.
“The bottom line is I’ve just got to work hard and keep going and try to stay positive,” said Gaborik, per The Record.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 0
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 6
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)