Mar 14, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
A month ago, Flyers president Peter Luukko said GM Paul Holmgren and coach Peter Laviolette’s jobs weren’t in jeopardy. However, it wouldn’t be surprising if Laviolette’s place with the team is being re-evaluated given Philadelphia’s continued woes.
Yesterday’s game against the New Jersey Devils was seen as a critical contest and they lost. Badly.
Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov said that the team would be “done” if they lost on Wednesday and Friday to New Jersey in both halves of their home-and-home series and while that’s an overstatement, their situation is certainly dire.
That being said, there have been hints that if the Flyers do lose on Friday, coach Peter Laviolette will be done, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“Lavy’s emotional, he’s intense, he thinks the game really well,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell said. “His bench awareness is great; it’s definitely not his fault.”
Having the vocal support of his players is great, but when teams fail to live up to expectations for long enough, changes come. It might take time, but as we’ve recently seen with Lindy Ruff, no one is completely immune.
Even still, Laviolette has led the Flyers to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons with the club and if it wasn’t for the fact that this was a shortened season, the Flyers’ 12-15-1 record wouldn’t be under quite as much scrutiny. Of course, that’s an academic point as the reality is that Philadelphia only has 20 games left to right its ship.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
After a year away from the game.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
Pretty nice pay bump for the 24-year-old rearguard.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
6-foot-8, 250-pounder was a first-round pick in 2005.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Hall of Famer will work as an assistant under Ted Nolan.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Fare thee well, Sammi.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Low-risk signing, with good potential upside.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
“When you do have a little more responsibility, you want to take your lunch pail and get ready to work.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Had 13 goals and eight assists in 2013-14, his rookie season in the NHL.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
IIHF Disciplinary Board levies punishment for “very forceful check.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Was traded from Toronto on July 1.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
New Caps coach wants “people who are really good at distributing the puck and making things happen from the middle of the ice.”
Jul 29, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Had 11 goals and seven assists in 53 games last season.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Expected to be healthy for training camp.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer now.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They won the Stanley Cup together in Tampa Bay.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Both were part of Dallas’ 1999 championship.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
He was recently hired by the team to serve as an assistant general manager.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
That won’t be easy given the Bruins’ current logjam.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He might still end up playing in Russia.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 5
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 35
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)