Mar 14, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
A month ago, Flyers president Peter Luukko said GM Paul Holmgren and coach Peter Laviolette’s jobs weren’t in jeopardy. However, it wouldn’t be surprising if Laviolette’s place with the team is being re-evaluated given Philadelphia’s continued woes.
Yesterday’s game against the New Jersey Devils was seen as a critical contest and they lost. Badly.
Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov said that the team would be “done” if they lost on Wednesday and Friday to New Jersey in both halves of their home-and-home series and while that’s an overstatement, their situation is certainly dire.
That being said, there have been hints that if the Flyers do lose on Friday, coach Peter Laviolette will be done, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“Lavy’s emotional, he’s intense, he thinks the game really well,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell said. “His bench awareness is great; it’s definitely not his fault.”
Having the vocal support of his players is great, but when teams fail to live up to expectations for long enough, changes come. It might take time, but as we’ve recently seen with Lindy Ruff, no one is completely immune.
Even still, Laviolette has led the Flyers to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons with the club and if it wasn’t for the fact that this was a shortened season, the Flyers’ 12-15-1 record wouldn’t be under quite as much scrutiny. Of course, that’s an academic point as the reality is that Philadelphia only has 20 games left to right its ship.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)