Mar 14, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
A month ago, Flyers president Peter Luukko said GM Paul Holmgren and coach Peter Laviolette’s jobs weren’t in jeopardy. However, it wouldn’t be surprising if Laviolette’s place with the team is being re-evaluated given Philadelphia’s continued woes.
Yesterday’s game against the New Jersey Devils was seen as a critical contest and they lost. Badly.
Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov said that the team would be “done” if they lost on Wednesday and Friday to New Jersey in both halves of their home-and-home series and while that’s an overstatement, their situation is certainly dire.
That being said, there have been hints that if the Flyers do lose on Friday, coach Peter Laviolette will be done, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“Lavy’s emotional, he’s intense, he thinks the game really well,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell said. “His bench awareness is great; it’s definitely not his fault.”
Having the vocal support of his players is great, but when teams fail to live up to expectations for long enough, changes come. It might take time, but as we’ve recently seen with Lindy Ruff, no one is completely immune.
Even still, Laviolette has led the Flyers to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons with the club and if it wasn’t for the fact that this was a shortened season, the Flyers’ 12-15-1 record wouldn’t be under quite as much scrutiny. Of course, that’s an academic point as the reality is that Philadelphia only has 20 games left to right its ship.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Vancouver took him with the sixth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
He signed with the AHL Oklahoma City Barons.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
That wasn’t the case when he began his career.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
He’s a restricted free agent, but might end up returning to Switzerland.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
In a way, she played a role in him working for the Canucks.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
He lost the starting job to Jonathan Bernier last season.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
He was taken with the fourth overall pick.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Two-time Stanley Cup winner played last season with KHL club HC Donbass.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
“I wish I had a really good answer — where this came from and why, and how it came about — but I don’t, to be honest.”
Jul 25, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
“We’re hoping the change of scenery is going to do him good.”
Jul 25, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
But not before having played his first NHL game since 2009-10.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“It’s a fairly simple one because Marc wants to be here,”
Jul 25, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
The 32nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut with Washington last season.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
In other words, they want him to be a shutdown center
Jul 24, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Eriksson’s looking to bounce back after suffering two concussions last season.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
He’ll get a fresh start after struggling with Vancouver.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He’s coming back after testing the free agent waters.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
It’s that time of the year.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)