Mar 14, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
A month ago, Flyers president Peter Luukko said GM Paul Holmgren and coach Peter Laviolette’s jobs weren’t in jeopardy. However, it wouldn’t be surprising if Laviolette’s place with the team is being re-evaluated given Philadelphia’s continued woes.
Yesterday’s game against the New Jersey Devils was seen as a critical contest and they lost. Badly.
Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov said that the team would be “done” if they lost on Wednesday and Friday to New Jersey in both halves of their home-and-home series and while that’s an overstatement, their situation is certainly dire.
That being said, there have been hints that if the Flyers do lose on Friday, coach Peter Laviolette will be done, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“Lavy’s emotional, he’s intense, he thinks the game really well,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell said. “His bench awareness is great; it’s definitely not his fault.”
Having the vocal support of his players is great, but when teams fail to live up to expectations for long enough, changes come. It might take time, but as we’ve recently seen with Lindy Ruff, no one is completely immune.
Even still, Laviolette has led the Flyers to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons with the club and if it wasn’t for the fact that this was a shortened season, the Flyers’ 12-15-1 record wouldn’t be under quite as much scrutiny. Of course, that’s an academic point as the reality is that Philadelphia only has 20 games left to right its ship.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 19
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)