Columnist: Flyers loss Friday might spark coaching change

Mar 14, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT

lavioletteap AP

A month ago, Flyers president Peter Luukko said GM Paul Holmgren and coach Peter Laviolette’s jobs weren’t in jeopardy. However, it wouldn’t be surprising if Laviolette’s place with the team is being re-evaluated given Philadelphia’s continued woes.

Yesterday’s game against the New Jersey Devils was seen as a critical contest and they lost. Badly.

Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov said that the team would be “done” if they lost on Wednesday and Friday to New Jersey in both halves of their home-and-home series and while that’s an overstatement, their situation is certainly dire.

That being said, there have been hints that if the Flyers do lose on Friday, coach Peter Laviolette will be done, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

“Lavy’s emotional, he’s intense, he thinks the game really well,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell said. “His bench awareness is great; it’s definitely not his fault.”

Having the vocal support of his players is great, but when teams fail to live up to expectations for long enough, changes come. It might take time, but as we’ve recently seen with Lindy Ruff, no one is completely immune.

Even still, Laviolette has led the Flyers to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons with the club and if it wasn’t for the fact that this was a shortened season, the Flyers’ 12-15-1 record wouldn’t be under quite as much scrutiny. Of course, that’s an academic point as the reality is that Philadelphia only has 20 games left to right its ship.

Related: Flyers insist coach Laviolette doesn’t deserve blame

1. 5hole26 - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:12 AM

HAHAHAHA see ya later ya loser. this is the greatest season ever, pens unstoppable and the flygirls are so bad that the islanders are better than them. can this season get any better???

• seahawks19081 - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM

The Penguins team bus could crash, not killing anyone, just really, really hurting the whole team… That would be a great season

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM

ahole 26 the hens were unstoppable last year and who stopped them? Oh yeah thats right. What better test than a repeat this year?

• jpelle82 - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM

flyers would have to make the playoffs first for there to be a repeat of last year. you probably still blame bush for everything too dont you?

• basedrum777 - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I’d agree with jepelle except for the douchy political comment. The Flyers are probably not making the playoffs. When he’s not talking about dancing bears I think your goalie called it right when he said you’re out now…

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

People like you, who post only the same cliche trash over and over, should be blocked from PHT. 1st amendment…hah. And after you repeatedly denied it, the truth (which we already knew) comes out… you’re nothing more than a bandwagoner Pens fan.

• stakex - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

The Pens are all offense, no defense…. that worked so well for them last year didn’t it? Just like it worked so well for the Caps for a few years. Offense only teams might light it up during the season, but its been lock down defense and goaltending that wins Cups lately. Even when the Pens won a few years ago Fleury was playing over his head, and the Pens had a more balanced attack.

Once the playoffs start (which the Flyers won’t even make), the Pens are a one and done team with their current play style. Lets see how good you think the season is then.

• basedrum777 - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM

stakex one of the best teams in the East scored 2 goals on them the other night. I’m pretty sure that has something to do with defense… Don’t let their great (and its pretty great) offense overshadow that they generally play pretty decently on defense. The MTL game had a lot to do with who was in goal.

• mario66sid87geno71 - Mar 15, 2013 at 9:08 AM

“When the Pens won” being the key portion of the comment. They have a strong core who has their names on a Cup. The defense is improving, they are finding ways to win, overcoming injuries, and scoring CLUTCH goals. It might be Chicago’s year, but I’ll take my chances with the Pens.

• jake6881 - Mar 14, 2013 at 3:52 PM

YES, it can! The Pens can choke again like last year……lol. Cry Babies! Got the top 2 players in the world and still cry and whine!

2. franchisethighs - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM

You guys want my take on this?

• manchestermiracle - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Um, apparently not….

3. ironcity6pak - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Love watching these douches lose especially that I’m not far from Philly.

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Not far from Philly? Let me guess, you’re a frontrunning Pens fan circa 2008.

• friedberg7 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Flyers are playing bad because Gary Bettman wants the Pens to win the Cup.

4. valoisvipers - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:30 AM

It will be sad to see Lavy go but better grab Ruff before someone else does.

5. sampulls - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Before this season started I remember the flyer fans all trying tell us that Giroux was better than Crosby. LOL

6. hockeyfan28 - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Lavys teams usually start tuning him out about the third year that’s the case now happened with the Hurricanes
    he’s lost the locker room the thing is Holmgren has been under fire ever since Mike Richards was skating around with
    a cup so I would say Lavy’s staying and the defense will be rebuilt with Bryz let go this summer

7. sjsharks66 - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Side note from the possibility of a coaching change. What was up with the refs last night? I did not see the slash they gave hartnell and when he dropped the gloves and was actually going to fight, they break it up. What the hell ref?!

8. jpelle82 - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM

now’s the time to do it if its gonna happen. schedule slows down a bit for philly and ruff is still available. i wouldnt be surprised if there’s a change made after friday night’s game – pending the result of course.

• ibieiniid - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM

i honestly expected news of Lavy fired by now.

• georgejarkko - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

This shortened season isn’t really a fair way to judge teams or coaches imo.

• ibieiniid - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM

i agree partially, but it’s a cop out to blame the flyers woes on a shortened season. I think, watching the Flyers, Lavy’s effectiveness has worn out.

• cantstopme1006 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Do you really think it all comes down to Friday’s game? One game mid season isn’t going to save his job, they need to keep win and keep winning and make the playoffs before Lavy can save his job. Having said that, I don’t think its going to happen and its only a matter of time before he gets the axe

• bmoreredfury311 - Mar 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM

This is not the season to panic, i love how everyone is crapping on these teams that are not at .500..
      There has been no lead way to falter, no training camps and no preseason to learn what you have to work with.
      Not taking anything away from the teams that are playing well, but come on.
      Now if it was this time of year, with a full season, then this would warranted.

9. colonelfancy - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:53 AM

This isn’t Lavy’s fault. They’ve been injury-ridden, lack offensive depth on the defense corps. and they have been overplaying the forecheck instead of trapping and attacking. Trading away JvR for underachieving Luke Schenn hasn’t panned out well and Briere has been disappointing. I doubt a new coach will grab this teams’ ear, it will only become a sign that blowing this team up may be sooner than later.

• flyeredup202 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Schenn has been the teams only bright spot on de….. the disappointing is the lack of fire power, we are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. I hate to say it but G is been a HUGE LET DOWN, makes you wonder if it was him or Jagr that made that line so great last year. Bryz has been inconsistant and unable to stop a bus at times. Games we should be able to win 1-0 we lose 5-2, this is not what the team is designed to do. I see Lavy getting canned, and a major sell coming at the deadline.

• basedrum777 - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM

wait just a minute… you mean he’s not as great as Sidney Crosby? You mean he was being overrated as someone who had never scored 100pts? You mean he’s not the savior for Philly? Wow. Who would’ve thunk it?

10. pwilson264 - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM

i think were the flyers are heading rt now they need a lot of help, and i do mean help. ruff is a dam good experienced coach i think with some other changes and ruff, the team may be able to turn it around. the only problem, here you are just past half the season, and even with a coaching change it would be a big task.

11. hockeywithdrawal - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I can’t stand him – but also not sure I’d put the blame on him for this. Did Holmgren really do right by the club the last two/three years?

What has Holmgren ever really done for them? Didn’t win a cup with the Flyers, got fired as head coach (or did I make that up?), and now as the GM tries a SERIES of long term and risky moves with key players. I think these guys will/can be good – they were last year – but the habit of bringing in young guys and giving them NO time to develop will always collapse. Good part is Schenn has done ok (Brayden). He’s tried to bring in veteran guys now with Knuble and Gagne but I don’t know – it’s like the heart of the team isn’t there.

I’m a Pens fan – but I can’t even cheer against these guys this year – get it together so I can hate you again, Flyers.

• ibieiniid - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

lol you’ve done plenty of flyers hatin’ this year, what are you talking about?

• ml3939 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I think Holmgren has done a very good job irregardless of how this season turns out. He immediately corrected that disgraceful 06-07 team. He stole Coburn from Atlanta. Picked up Timmonen and Hartnell for a draft pick. He signed Briere. Traded for Umberger who was productive while he was here. Traded for Pronger. Picked up Leino for nothing. Signed Bob as a free agent. Signed Matt Read. Got Mez for the oft injured Gagne. Made a killing in the deals for Richards and Carter. Negatives- signing Shelley, Lilja and Gervais to multiyear deals (obviously low money), trading for Versteeg (though he recouped some of the value back dealing him to FLA), signing Bryz (but I think this was Snyder’s move, not his, so ultimately I do not hold this one against him. I think it’s too early to judge the JVR-Schenn deal (I think JVR will ultimately be more valuable but offense is not one of the Flyers’ weaknesses).

It is a little to early to judge his drafts but Couturier, Laughton, McGinn, Cousins, Stolarz, Gostisbehere and Bourdon appear to be productive and potential NHL talent. For all of the criticism he receives, Rinaldo is proving to be very valuable in his current role. He also drafted JVR and Sbisa.

I am also ecstatic he did not resign Matt Carle. His stats are very misleading. To put it technically, he stinks.

In his tenure of GM, they have made the playoffs in every full season he has been here and been out of the first round all but once. I believe Detroit is the only other team that can make that same claim.

Holmgren is not to blame for the current failures and deserves the right fix this team or let its pieces develop as he sees fit.

• bobhpine - Mar 14, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Haha. Irregardless isn’t a word. Moron.

• ml3939 - Mar 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM

My ipad populated the word. I did not proofread my comments but REGARDLESS of your statement it is a word recognized by dictionaries such as Merriam-Webster due to its common inclusion in our vernacular. So go get your poodles dressed and hope this season remains one of the 25-27% seasons that the Penguins are actually more successful than the Flyers.

• bobhpine - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Made a killing in the deals for Richards and Carter…that’s probably the best part.

Richards and Carter just won the Stanley Cup. Those guys that the Flyers got back for them…well, we all know they of course did not win the Stanley Cup.

I forgot, I forgot…just getting to the finals and losing is awesome to Flyers fans. That’s why losing six straight finals is so great for you. You’re like the Buffalo Bills only worse.

The iPad doesn’t correct to words that don’t exist unless you have conditioned it to do so by repeatedly using ‘irregardless,’ which I’m sure you have. You’re a dumb guy. It’s ok.

…also, that compelling analysis leaves out Fraud Giroux quite conspicuously. You think he sucks too. Huh? Oh we’ll.

• ml3939 - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Richards and Carter were ancillary parts in LA. When they were the “guys” here, they couldn’t do it. As for the ipad, it’s the first time I used the word. I tested your theory and started typing the word on my iPhone and it auto populated on another device where I never used the word. Losing is something that you as a Pens’ fan are much more accustomed to than I. Again 73-75% of the time, the Flyers have been the more successful franchise. That is the crux of these debates, who is better, the Flyers or the Penguins. At the moment, the Pens are better. Last year it was the Flyers. Historically, it’s not even close. In the big picture I would prefer more cups. In this argument, I am content.

In the comments above, I am arguing on Holmgren’s behalf. Clarke drafted Giroux so I am not sure how he is relevant to Holmgren’s acquisitions stupid.

• bobhpine - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Just answer this question. It’s a yes or a no.

Have you ever seen the Flyers win the Stanley Cup?

• ml3939 - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM

• bobhpine - Mar 14, 2013 at 9:58 PM

So you’re at the very least in your 40′s and you’re talking about me being old? Sad.

It’s also sad that you could wait 38 years for a cup and define that period of time as successful in any way. I guess that’s how losers define success.

What was 1975 like? I wasn’t even close to being alive yet.

• ml3939 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM

It is fittingly ironic how flawed you are in your thinking, rationale and questioning when you attempt to be a literal prick. Again, you are wrong in all of your assumptions. You may want seek out an educated individual to read over your drivel.

You unsuccessfully argue against any of my points leaving you with the Pens lone advantage- 3 cups and their recency. And that is all that you have. By your logic, the Pens have been unsuccessful for 41 years and realistically you are not far off. Furthermore, you must not have experienced any joy in watching your team for over 20 years other than 3 games. In your eyes, regular season and playoff series wins are not reason to celebrate. I hope you remain quiet while drinking wine in a suite at the games and the Penguins score or even happen to win.

The Flyers absolutely dwarf the Penguins in all other measures of success. It is not even close. The Pens lone advantage is 3-2. I would say that is pretty darn close.

And please, feel free to address the fact that the Penguins first two cups are tainted by the fact at they played without integrity losing on purpose to draft Mario. Pretty pathetic. To put that in perspective, during the worst run in Flyers’ franchise history, they had enough talent on their roster to trade for the rights to Eric Lindros, as valuable a player ever to enter the draft (if you are going to address this point, stick to the point and don’t deflect with his injury history which limited his ability to play up to his potential). I am pretty sure the Pens did not have the talent available to trade for either Mario’s or Sid’s left skates when they were draft eligible. In fact the Pens were so bad they drafted either 1 or 2 four draft in a row. Point is, even at their worst, the Flyers are much better than the Pens. Some may even say having so many high draft picks and only one cup to show is a failure.

So please, if you are going to respond, address what I am saying.

12. har21441 - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM

But…how? Laviolette always calls time outs at the right moment. And…..well…. OK, so his major coaching contribution is time out calling.

13. holeecowman - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

1 its not lavys fault. 2 its not bryzs fault either hes showed up more than the team this yr. 3 giroux is better than crosby, just having an off year. the reason hes not a b@tch. so shut up you hafl wit pens fans 6yr old fan base doesnt mean you can make comment like that morons.
    the d is just horrible i see berube gone also why does the flyers have so dam many asst coaches any 2 on the bench 1 in the press box. no wonder their all jacked up they dont know who to listen to. i also see homer gone during the long summer break these guys are going to have. and let the thumbs down begin from the cindy fans. and dont question my fanship either its 17 yrs strong since i was 8. same team no wagon jumping thick and thin only missed one year and that was because i deployed but followed when i could.

• crosberries - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Haha right he’s just having an off year that is hilarious. Try he lost jagr and isn’t sh!t without him. Start the rebuild!!

• theageofquarrel - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM

1. You are wrong
      2. Wrong again
      3. Really? C’mon now

So now I ask you. You mad bro.?

• ibieiniid - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM

i really wish “you mad bro” would die already.

• basedrum777 - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM

He could’ve said, “that’s a clown comment bro”.

• tetsujin182 - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Really, Giroux is better than Crosby? 1. Who is a Stanley Cup winner? 2. If Giroux really was better, he wouldn’t have off years. Also, your argument about the players not knowing who to listen to is ridiculous. 2-3 Asst. coaches is pretty much the norm, so too many coaches couldn’t be the reason. I’m pretty sure it’s the bad moves, overvaluing players, injuries, and porous defense are the cause for this team not winning.

• tetsujin182 - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Notice I didn’t mention the numerous other awards Crosby has won in his NHL career. 1975.

• explaininginenglish - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

First of all, I do not feel that current record is Peter Laviolette’s fault. I also do not feel like it is Ilya Bryzgalov’s fault either. He has more consistent than any other member of the team.

The young Penguins fans commenting in this thread would be wise to keep quiet. Claude Giroux is a superior player to Sidney Crosby. I realize Giroux’s stats are down this year, but he is a strong player.

Further analyzing the Flyers problems, the defense is the weakest part of the team.

While I am pleased that Craig Berube has been let go, the remaining coaching situation leaves me puzzled. I don’t understand the need for so many coaches on the bench, plus they have one in the press box! No wonder the players are making mistakes – they don’t know which coach to pay attention to!

My instincts tell me that Paul Holmgren will be let during the off season (which will be longer than usual, since they will most likely miss the playoffs!)

With that said, let the Penguins fans now voice their disagreement with me. I’ll have you know though that I have been a hardcore Flyers fan through the good times and bad times for 17 years – since I was only eight years old. There was only one year that I was not able to watch them regularly, and that was when I was deployed in the armed services and OBVIOUSLY SUSTAINED THE HEAD WOUND THAT HAS ALTERED NOT ONLY MY ABILITY TO SPEAK ENGLISH BUT MY VIEW THAT CLAUDE GIROUX IS ANYTHING MORE THAN AN ABOVE AVERAGE CENTER, LET ALONE BETTER THAN THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE.

….off year, my @ss.

• basedrum777 - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:53 PM

explaining in english is right. Love the part at the end. Honesty is the first step of the 12 I think.

• 2jivecrew - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM

LOL….Giroux better than Crosby. You should do stand-up.

• jkay1818 - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM

HOLECOWMAN,
      where to begin? First of all, I dislike both the flyers and the pens…big time, but, giroux is not even on the same planet as crosby. I have said this time and time again. Giroux is a good player, nothing wrong with that, who had a monster season. Plenty of NHLers have that one monster year. He will definitely provide you with lots of good years though. He doesn’t have that scare factor when he is on the ice when i watch him. Crosby worries me, when you guys had Lindros, he worried me.
      NOW, let’s get down to business, do you really mean to tell me you are 25 years old with that grammar and spelling? Man, that is atrocious. I know this isn’t a site where we have to measure that, but it probably took half us 4 times to realize what you are saying. Crosby is a “b@tch” is a good reason why he isn’t better than giroux by the way.
      I think what you really meant was ” dont question my fanship (whats that?) it’s been 17 years strong since I have dropped out of school….when i was 8.

• bobhpine - Mar 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM

This is so awesome. These people just say Giroux is better than Crosby and leave it at that. Oh yeah, and he’s just having a down YEAR. They don’t use stats to support it, because there are none. The don’t talk about this season because Crosby is 20 points ahead of Giroux after 26 games. The Stanley cup that Crosby has is also inconsequential.

Where is Giroux’s gold medal? Oh yeah, he wasn’t on the Olympic team.

All that matters in the world is that the Flyers won that series last April. The previous two seris the Pens won over Flyers also don’t matter.

This is why these people are such moronic losers. This is why 1975 happens to them.

14. holeecowman - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM

to the pens fans lets just see how great your little nancy boys are when the redwings return to the east lol just saying.

• tatdue - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM

You mean the team that is struggling to barely make the playoffs and has lost it’s last 3 games…2 in a row to Columbus (1 shut out 3-0, and 3-2) and the last 1 to Calgary (5-2) Ya I bet they are shaking in their skates…lol

Buddy I’m no Pens fan but I gotta tell you that both of your comments above are right out of fantasy land!!! Holy Cow! LOL

• 2jivecrew - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Last time I checked, the Pens beat the Wings for a Cup championship. Your point?

• har21441 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

To be fair, Put your orange colored glasses on and try imagining how good the Wings look if you’re a flyers fan. See – it’s different when you have a worse record and are forced to look up at them.

• explaininginenglish - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM

To all of the Penguins fans, I’d like to remind you that you’re favorite team is more womanly than the Flyers. Also, I wonder how you will react when the team that you last defeated for the Stanley Cup, the 8th place, almost out of the play off picture Red Wings, returns to our Eastern Conference – in which the Penguins are only two points out of first place? Haha!

• basedrum777 - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM

To those who didn’t notice, the above is sarcasm. And well done btw…

15. govtminion - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

If the idea is to fire him to shake things up and get the team playing better, take a quick look down I-95 and see what two coaching changes in the past two years have done to shake things up in Washington. It might not be the right solution- and it sure sucks to end up continuing to struggle while the guy you fired goes on to better things (Hi Bruce!).

Firing the coach isn’t what will fix the Flyers. Finding a goalie who can stop a puck once in a while would be a much better move.

16. blackfoot11 - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM

This season is an anomaly. Why would any team make drastic changes? Hasn’t Laviolette coached the Flyers to the playoffs every year of his 3-year coaching tenure? Foolish thinking by the Flyers prez.

• jpelle82 - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM

well they made it almost every year before laviolette too so that argument is weak, flyers have missed playoffs only a twice i think since the late 80′s ealry 90′s.

• blackfoot11 - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Ok, but to make a change based on performance in an abbreviated season is short-sided and could have a long-term impact. Laviolette has had good success with the Flyers and has earned not to be dumped b/c of an unpredictable outlier of a season. If its status-quo next year, pull the trigger. I understand its Philly and the pressure to win a Cup is high.

• jpelle82 - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM

agreed but with his reputation of short lived successes in the past i see a change coming. won the cup in his 1st fuill year with carolina, then backslides significantly the next two seasons until fired. goes to the finals with philly his first year, back slides the following 2 seasons – should be fired. his abbrasive style of coaching and childish antics arent working anymore either

17. 5hole26 - Mar 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM

are the red wings even relevant anymore? i dont think so, get out of here with that trash talk biff

• ibieiniid - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I’ll have to disagree. the Red Wings presented by Amway are ALWAYS relevant…. or else they lose corporate sponsors.

18. biffnasty - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

filthys struggles can be directly attributed to hartnells ginger perm. it looks like he hasnt conditioned it in a while, very unkempt. also, being a ginger, hartnell has NO soul. once hartnell starts taking better care of the ginger perm, filthy will go on a winning streak

• isithockeyseasonyet - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I’m a flyers fan but this is one of the funniest comments I’ve read, touché

• jpelle82 - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM

add voracek and his ginger beard and giroux cutting off his ginger mullet and you have all obvious reasons for their struggles

• isithockeyseasonyet - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM

you’re trying too hard

• ibieiniid - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:17 PM

i hate loose applications of the term ‘ginger.’ a ginger is not just a red-headed person, but a red-headed with super pale skin and a horrible facial freckle problem.

hopefully that embed works. never embedded a pic before.

• ibieiniid - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

nope

• har21441 - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

also, no soul.

• ibieiniid - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM

ya ya, that too.

i did find out, however, that contrary to popular (my) belief, gingers DO have shadows. if that was a question on Millionaire, I woulda lost. (but it wouldn’t be a question on Millionaire, 1. because Millionaire doesn’t exist anymore and 2. that’s a yes/no thing when Millionaire is based on multiple choice questions)

• basedrum777 - Mar 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Could they have used maybe and sometimes as options?

19. mclovinhockey - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM

It’s not his fault.
    The team is just deflated we have no back up goalie our players can’t stay healthy and are coming back weeks before they should to try to help the team but are playing half as good as they could.

I say take a page from the pens playbook prior to the last lockout , sit all of our decent players and grab one of the first two picks.

It’s time to make some changes but we could wait to retool in the offseason.

20. mclovinhockey - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Btw just want to put this out there, insulting “gingers” is the same type of intolerance women, jews, and African Americans have been fighting against for so long.
    I know you guys are just trying to have fun but I know people who have killed themselves because people have indirectly insulted them over the Internet.

So just so you know, every time you make an insult about something that can not be helped, you may be a deciding factor in a suicided

• jpelle82 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM

oh please. gingers arent a race, they arent gender specified, they arent being persecuted for their religion, they have the same rights as citizens and probably make more money than their african american counterparts considering the fact they are white in america (look up the stats). ginger jokes are in line with blonde jokes – if some valley girl wants to off herself over a blonde joke then so be it.

• har21441 - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Also relevant: No soul = No problem

• mclovinhockey - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM

actually the definition of race is very broad. It is just a large and distinct group of people you can classify by certain things. I am pretty sure you could classify “Ginger” as a race if you want to be picky.

Anyway, love how you show just how inhuman you are by saying you do not care if your “joke” is the reason someone is dead.

You are a pathetic excuse for a human, hope you never repopulate.

• biffnasty - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Hahaha..yes equating gingers and the struggles of African Americans’ is very similar..you sir, are an idiot and should be ashamed of yourself for your stupidity

• mclovinhockey - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Why? because I do not insult people for things they can not help. The fact that you are laughing that I said I know people have killed themselves over things like this is pathetic. You think I should be ashamed that I am tolerant and educated and know that to some people these are not just words? Fact is, Ginger is a term that now can carry as much impact as the “Nigger”, this is just a fact so sorry that I am more informed than you are.

• rodeoclowndc - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I think you just killed the English language there, pal.

21. johnstone17 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:22 PM

As a Ranger fan, I don’t see the problem being the coaching. Stay out of the penalty box & you give yourself a better chance right from the get go. There is way too much talent in that locker room not to be able to put it together.

22. phillyphanatic77 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Horrible turnovers plagued the Flyers again last night. The kind of turnovers that junior teams don’t make. It’s just mind-boggling. And I’m getting really tired of people talking about Bryz having no fault in where the Flyers are in the standings. I agree he was very good at the start but over the past month ormore he’s reverted to the same Bryzgalov we saw last year. How many big games have we played, must-win types, where he has come up big? The answer is HE HASN’T. I’ve argued over and over myself that team defense has been atrocious and the defensive corps is sub-par but at some point you need your “elite” goalie to start playing like a #1. When does Bryzgalov ever make that huge save that swings momentum? When does he ever just shut door on the opposing players? When was the last time he stopped someone in a shootout or breakaway?! The goalies the Flyers go against never seem to have a problem with this. Hell, Hedberg couldn’t stop ANYTHING coming into last night, he’d been pulled more times than I can count, and then he plays the Flyers and I could’ve sworn Martin Brodeur was in net. On the other end, Bryz can’t come up with one big save to keep us in the game. I know, I know, he got no help but those are precisely the type of games you’re paying $5.67 mil for a netminder to stop the bleeding. I give Holmgren a lot of credit for assembling the forward group, and I think he got a raw deal with the painful loss of Pronger (as it’s almost impossible to replace that presence, as we’ve seen), but that Bryz deal has killed us. I don’t see how there’s anyway you don’t amnesty him and go find a real goalie. You can’t pay so much for so little in today’s salary cap age. The return on the investment has just been too small. Get rid of Bryz and go get Bernier, that might save your job this offseason.

23. footballfan - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Someone needs to ask ole Scotty who is to blame then!!!

24. joewilliesshnoz - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Looks like Lavy, lost his savvy.

25. malkinrulez - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

2jivecrew u beat me to both points! I understand Philly fans love Giroux but let’s be serious the guy hasn’t done anything other than have a good series against the pens. Meanwhile Crosby owns every major award in hockey including a golden goal in the Olympics

26. friedberg7 - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I think a off year for the Flyers might be the best thing for them. As bad as that sounds it will let them be sellers and dump some salaries. Get some cap space and make the appropriate trades for the future.

27. malkinrulez - Mar 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM

If only Pens fans could have the great reputation that Philly fans have. Wait…I guess I’d rather have “front runner “.

28. stakex - Mar 14, 2013 at 1:13 PM

The Flyers simply are not a very good team. They have let a lot of talent walk out the door (and some of it has been shipped out) over the last couple years… and not only have they failed to replace most of it, they didn’t fix any of the other problems they had. Their defense is terrible, Bryzgalov has had his moments but hes playing so-so at best, and the offense is full of holes.

If anything the GM should be canned for making a ton of terrible off-season moves and failing to make others. Laviolette is a good coach, and he can only coach the team he has… and he wasn’t handed a very good team. If hes fired, its because GM Holmgren wants to shift the blame from himself.

29. chrisk61 - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM

flyers need to stabilize and in particular need stability in net. while their struggles aren’t all bryz’s fault, his questionable comments recently suggest he is unraveling. they can no longer depend on him to be consistent in goal. i think before lavy gets fired the flyers will bench bryz and see if leighton or boucher can stabilize the goalie position, help to stabilize the team and start to get some wins. more broadly, it looks bryz and probably briere get amnestied.

30. letsgopens8771 - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Good. I hope they do. Even as a pens fan, I would say that this is a completely wrong move, but it is easier to fire a coach than to get rid of all the players (Washington). Seriously, he has one bad year after leading you to a Cup Final, making some deep playoff runs, and outcoaching my boy Disco Dan last year in the playoffs. Even though Philly has been underachieving this year, I still think this is the wrong move.

31. malkinrulez - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:01 PM

jake6881 commenting is different than crying and whining. Please post some examples of Pens fans crying in these posts.what would we have to cry about at this point? It looks to me like it is You who is drowning in his tears.Also it is tough to find a Pens fan that doesn’t know that the defense will need to tighten up before the playoffs.

32. 5hole26 - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Ahhh its so refeshing to be on top as usual. the flygirls have no clue how that feels. they get lucky one playoff series and think they won the cup. thats so halarius. i bath in your agony. phillyphan77 where you at bro? your team sucks

33. pitpenguinsrulez - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:44 PM

The one thing that has always plagued the Flyers over the years is goaltending. sure they have made the playoffs consistently but no matter what theyre flawed at that position. I could be wrong but I believe philly has gone through more goalies than the Pens have since Hextall left, again I didn’t look it up. A coaching change might help but again just because the coach is gone doesn’t mean things will get fixed.

As for the Giroux vs. Crosby stuff lets get it straight here Giroux has only had two good seasons and a video game cover as compared to what Crosby has accomplished since 2005-2006. If Giroux was a better leader then he would’ve been more involved with trying to get the lockout done instead of playing across the atlantic and getting hurt. Im not saying Crosby was an important part in getting the lockout done but he contributed more than Giroux did. Unlike Giroux, Crosby has proven to everyone that he is the best player in the league. Hes on pace for 80 points this season which is more than what Jagr and Lindros had in 94-95 meanwhile Giroux isn’t even in the Top Ten in terms of points. Philly thought they had the answer to Mario and Jagr back in the 90s but Lindros only came once to top either one in scoring which was 94-95. Lindros was a never a 100 point player like Mario or Jagr and thus I believe Giroux will be the same way in terms of points. Crosby makes everyone around him a better player hence Dupuis and Kunitz. Ill leave my case at this for now.

LETS GO PENS

34. 5hole26 - Mar 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM

ml you are my hero. god bless you sir

• ml3939 - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Everyone can use a positive role model. Glad I have inspired you.

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches