Mar 14, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes got a boost at practice this morning as winger Tuomo Ruutu skated with teammates and, perhaps most importantly, participated without wearing a non-contact jersey.
Ruutu, 30, has missed all 25 games this year after undergoing hip surgery in early January.
The procedure was supposed keep Ruutuu shelved for the year — “certainly through the regular season,” ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said at the time — but the gritty Finn has rehabbed strongly and appears well ahead of schedule.
Over the weekend, reports surfaced that Carolina was looking at a potential Mar. 15 medical clearance date.
“Hopefully by next week we get the green light from him,” head coach Kirk Muller told the Raleigh News & Observer on Sunday. “I think it will start off as team practices, then physical contact. He’s a guy who has kept himself in pretty good shape. I think once it starts, as far as practices, I don’t think he’s too far off.”
Ruutu was reportedly taking random line rushes with the team at Thursday’s practice, in advance of tonight’s tilt against the Capitals.
Ruutu is a solid scorer (18 goals, 34 points last season; 57 points in 2010-11) and provides a physical presence up front. He led all Carolina forwards in hits last year, with 151.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)