Mar 14, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes got a boost at practice this morning as winger Tuomo Ruutu skated with teammates and, perhaps most importantly, participated without wearing a non-contact jersey.
Ruutu, 30, has missed all 25 games this year after undergoing hip surgery in early January.
The procedure was supposed keep Ruutuu shelved for the year — “certainly through the regular season,” ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said at the time — but the gritty Finn has rehabbed strongly and appears well ahead of schedule.
Over the weekend, reports surfaced that Carolina was looking at a potential Mar. 15 medical clearance date.
“Hopefully by next week we get the green light from him,” head coach Kirk Muller told the Raleigh News & Observer on Sunday. “I think it will start off as team practices, then physical contact. He’s a guy who has kept himself in pretty good shape. I think once it starts, as far as practices, I don’t think he’s too far off.”
Ruutu was reportedly taking random line rushes with the team at Thursday’s practice, in advance of tonight’s tilt against the Capitals.
Ruutu is a solid scorer (18 goals, 34 points last season; 57 points in 2010-11) and provides a physical presence up front. He led all Carolina forwards in hits last year, with 151.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 29
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 14
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 3
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 57
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (57)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)