Mar 14, 2013, 2:51 PM EST
The German blueliner hurt his knee in a 4-0 loss to the Islanders on Feb. 23, and hasn’t played since.
Rolson said Sulzer has undergone season-ending knee surgery, and Sulzer was seen on Thursday walking through the dressing room on crutches.
the 28-year-old had appeared in 17 games for the Sabres this season, registering 3G-1A-4PTS while averaging over 16 minutes of ice time per game. He currently sits in a tie for most goals by a Buffalo defenseman, with Tyler Myers.
It’s a tough blow for Sulzer, who worked his way into a top-six spot on Buffalo’s defense.
He played well for the Sabres after coming from Vancouver at last year’s trade deadline — scoring eight points in 15 games — and was rewarded with a one-year, $725,000 deal in May.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)