Mar 14, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
The German blueliner hurt his knee in a 4-0 loss to the Islanders on Feb. 23, and hasn’t played since.
Rolson said Sulzer has undergone season-ending knee surgery, and Sulzer was seen on Thursday walking through the dressing room on crutches.
the 28-year-old had appeared in 17 games for the Sabres this season, registering 3G-1A-4PTS while averaging over 16 minutes of ice time per game. He currently sits in a tie for most goals by a Buffalo defenseman, with Tyler Myers.
It’s a tough blow for Sulzer, who worked his way into a top-six spot on Buffalo’s defense.
He played well for the Sabres after coming from Vancouver at last year’s trade deadline — scoring eight points in 15 games — and was rewarded with a one-year, $725,000 deal in May.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)