Mar 14, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
The German blueliner hurt his knee in a 4-0 loss to the Islanders on Feb. 23, and hasn’t played since.
Rolson said Sulzer has undergone season-ending knee surgery, and Sulzer was seen on Thursday walking through the dressing room on crutches.
the 28-year-old had appeared in 17 games for the Sabres this season, registering 3G-1A-4PTS while averaging over 16 minutes of ice time per game. He currently sits in a tie for most goals by a Buffalo defenseman, with Tyler Myers.
It’s a tough blow for Sulzer, who worked his way into a top-six spot on Buffalo’s defense.
He played well for the Sabres after coming from Vancouver at last year’s trade deadline — scoring eight points in 15 games — and was rewarded with a one-year, $725,000 deal in May.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 33
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 5
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 31
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)