Mar 14, 2013, 11:14 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning received some tough news on Thursday as it was learned captain Vincent Lecavalier would be out indefinitely with a lower-body injury.
Lecavalier, 32, suffered the injury during Tuesday’s 3-2 win over Florida.
Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune reports Lecavalier was knocked down late in the contest and went to the bench in discomfort — of note, he only had three shifts in the final nine minutes with Tampa nursing a one-goal lead.
Erlendsson also notes the club expects the captain to go on injured reserve.
While his team has struggled this season, Lecavalier has enjoyed a good year in terms of production.
He’s notched 7G-15A-22PTS in 26 games while averaging close to 19 minutes a night and, in January, played his 1,000th NHL game, becoming just the fifth first overall pick to play 1,000 games with the team that originally drafted him.
UPDATE: According to Damian Cristodero of the St. Petersburg Times, Bolts head coach Guy Boucher said Lecavalier will be out longer than the minimum seven-day IR stint.
UPDATE 2: The Lightning have called up Tyler Johnson from AHL Syracuse.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 16
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 28
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 53
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)