Mar 14, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning received some tough news on Thursday as it was learned captain Vincent Lecavalier would be out indefinitely with a lower-body injury.
Lecavalier, 32, suffered the injury during Tuesday’s 3-2 win over Florida.
Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune reports Lecavalier was knocked down late in the contest and went to the bench in discomfort — of note, he only had three shifts in the final nine minutes with Tampa nursing a one-goal lead.
Erlendsson also notes the club expects the captain to go on injured reserve.
While his team has struggled this season, Lecavalier has enjoyed a good year in terms of production.
He’s notched 7G-15A-22PTS in 26 games while averaging close to 19 minutes a night and, in January, played his 1,000th NHL game, becoming just the fifth first overall pick to play 1,000 games with the team that originally drafted him.
UPDATE: According to Damian Cristodero of the St. Petersburg Times, Bolts head coach Guy Boucher said Lecavalier will be out longer than the minimum seven-day IR stint.
UPDATE 2: The Lightning have called up Tyler Johnson from AHL Syracuse.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 23
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (110)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)