Mar 14, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning received some tough news on Thursday as it was learned captain Vincent Lecavalier would be out indefinitely with a lower-body injury.
Lecavalier, 32, suffered the injury during Tuesday’s 3-2 win over Florida.
Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune reports Lecavalier was knocked down late in the contest and went to the bench in discomfort — of note, he only had three shifts in the final nine minutes with Tampa nursing a one-goal lead.
Erlendsson also notes the club expects the captain to go on injured reserve.
While his team has struggled this season, Lecavalier has enjoyed a good year in terms of production.
He’s notched 7G-15A-22PTS in 26 games while averaging close to 19 minutes a night and, in January, played his 1,000th NHL game, becoming just the fifth first overall pick to play 1,000 games with the team that originally drafted him.
UPDATE: According to Damian Cristodero of the St. Petersburg Times, Bolts head coach Guy Boucher said Lecavalier will be out longer than the minimum seven-day IR stint.
UPDATE 2: The Lightning have called up Tyler Johnson from AHL Syracuse.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)