Mar 13, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild have sent goalie Darcy Kuemper back to AHL Houston.
Kuemper, 22, was summoned from the American League on Feb. 12 to fill in for backup netminder Josh Harding, who suffered a multiple sclerosis setback.
Kuemper went on to make his NHL debut against Vancouver that same night — a 2-1 loss — and appeared in four games total for the Wild, posting a 1-2-0 record with a .924 save percentage and 2.22 goals-against average.
As you can see by his numbers, Kuemper’s demotion isn’t due to poor play at the NHL level.
A series of events played their part(s) — Kuemper first suffered a groin injury that landed him on IR, and the club then proceeded to call up Matt Hackett from Houston.
By assigning Kuemper to the AHL, he can get back to playing more games, rather than sitting behind Niklas Backstrom (who has been a busy man of late, being the goalie of record in nine of Minnesota’s last 10 games).
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal