Mar 13, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
Ottawa Senators forward Kaspars Daugavins certainly got people’s attention with his unusual shootout attempt – but was it worth it?
He didn’t beat Boston Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask and Ottawa consequently lost the contest. Was doing an odd maneuver like that to throw Rask off-balance still his best bet or did it even aide Rask by telegraphing the fact that Daugavins was unlikely to try and elevate his shot?
That was the topic on NHL Faceoff, which you can watch below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Senators coach Paul MacLean thought it was creative and Daugavins had success with the move during his AHL days, according to the NHL.com.
“I don’t blame the kid at all,” Don Cherry said. “Lets face it the shootout is a gimmick anyway. Fans loved it and besides it worked for him in the AHL.”
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 5
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 16
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)