Mar 13, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
Ottawa Senators forward Kaspars Daugavins certainly got people’s attention with his unusual shootout attempt – but was it worth it?
He didn’t beat Boston Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask and Ottawa consequently lost the contest. Was doing an odd maneuver like that to throw Rask off-balance still his best bet or did it even aide Rask by telegraphing the fact that Daugavins was unlikely to try and elevate his shot?
That was the topic on NHL Faceoff, which you can watch below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Senators coach Paul MacLean thought it was creative and Daugavins had success with the move during his AHL days, according to the NHL.com.
“I don’t blame the kid at all,” Don Cherry said. “Lets face it the shootout is a gimmick anyway. Fans loved it and besides it worked for him in the AHL.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)