Mar 13, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
Ottawa Senators forward Kaspars Daugavins certainly got people’s attention with his unusual shootout attempt – but was it worth it?
He didn’t beat Boston Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask and Ottawa consequently lost the contest. Was doing an odd maneuver like that to throw Rask off-balance still his best bet or did it even aide Rask by telegraphing the fact that Daugavins was unlikely to try and elevate his shot?
That was the topic on NHL Faceoff, which you can watch below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Senators coach Paul MacLean thought it was creative and Daugavins had success with the move during his AHL days, according to the NHL.com.
“I don’t blame the kid at all,” Don Cherry said. “Lets face it the shootout is a gimmick anyway. Fans loved it and besides it worked for him in the AHL.”
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 5
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 6
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 16
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 29
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 39
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 33
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 33
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 59
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)