Mar 13, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
Ottawa Senators forward Kaspars Daugavins certainly got people’s attention with his unusual shootout attempt – but was it worth it?
He didn’t beat Boston Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask and Ottawa consequently lost the contest. Was doing an odd maneuver like that to throw Rask off-balance still his best bet or did it even aide Rask by telegraphing the fact that Daugavins was unlikely to try and elevate his shot?
That was the topic on NHL Faceoff, which you can watch below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Senators coach Paul MacLean thought it was creative and Daugavins had success with the move during his AHL days, according to the NHL.com.
“I don’t blame the kid at all,” Don Cherry said. “Lets face it the shootout is a gimmick anyway. Fans loved it and besides it worked for him in the AHL.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)