Mar 13, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
The Sharks captain centered Burns during Tuesday’s 4-2 loss to St. Louis — Burns jumped onto his line late in the second period — and Thornton like what he saw from the defenseman-turned-winger.
“I’d play with [Burns] all year. He’s big, strong, handles the puck,” he told CSN Bay Area. “Yeah, I’d love to play with him all year, he’s great.”
Though San Jose lost on Tuesday, the team was taking some positives from the defeat.
The Sharks put 41 shots on goal — just the third time this year they’ve registered 40-plus — with Burns scoring once, his first goal of the year.
The biggest development, though, might be that head coach Todd McLellan might’ve found a winger for Thornton and Logan Couture.
A number of skaters have had the opportunity to fill the void this season — including the likes of Bracken Kearns and Tommy Wingels — but none have found success.
Burns is hoping he’ll be able to change that.
“It’s a joy to play with those guys,” he explained. “I think we were in their end a lot of the game. Big bodies, I think we play a hard style. I felt good.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)