Mar 13, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
The Sharks captain centered Burns during Tuesday’s 4-2 loss to St. Louis — Burns jumped onto his line late in the second period — and Thornton like what he saw from the defenseman-turned-winger.
“I’d play with [Burns] all year. He’s big, strong, handles the puck,” he told CSN Bay Area. “Yeah, I’d love to play with him all year, he’s great.”
Though San Jose lost on Tuesday, the team was taking some positives from the defeat.
The Sharks put 41 shots on goal — just the third time this year they’ve registered 40-plus — with Burns scoring once, his first goal of the year.
The biggest development, though, might be that head coach Todd McLellan might’ve found a winger for Thornton and Logan Couture.
A number of skaters have had the opportunity to fill the void this season — including the likes of Bracken Kearns and Tommy Wingels — but none have found success.
Burns is hoping he’ll be able to change that.
“It’s a joy to play with those guys,” he explained. “I think we were in their end a lot of the game. Big bodies, I think we play a hard style. I felt good.”
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 100
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (103)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)