Mar 13, 2013, 4:55 PM EST
The Sharks captain centered Burns during Tuesday’s 4-2 loss to St. Louis — Burns jumped onto his line late in the second period — and Thornton like what he saw from the defenseman-turned-winger.
“I’d play with [Burns] all year. He’s big, strong, handles the puck,” he told CSN Bay Area. “Yeah, I’d love to play with him all year, he’s great.”
Though San Jose lost on Tuesday, the team was taking some positives from the defeat.
The Sharks put 41 shots on goal — just the third time this year they’ve registered 40-plus — with Burns scoring once, his first goal of the year.
The biggest development, though, might be that head coach Todd McLellan might’ve found a winger for Thornton and Logan Couture.
A number of skaters have had the opportunity to fill the void this season — including the likes of Bracken Kearns and Tommy Wingels — but none have found success.
Burns is hoping he’ll be able to change that.
“It’s a joy to play with those guys,” he explained. “I think we were in their end a lot of the game. Big bodies, I think we play a hard style. I felt good.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)