Mar 13, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
The Sharks captain centered Burns during Tuesday’s 4-2 loss to St. Louis — Burns jumped onto his line late in the second period — and Thornton like what he saw from the defenseman-turned-winger.
“I’d play with [Burns] all year. He’s big, strong, handles the puck,” he told CSN Bay Area. “Yeah, I’d love to play with him all year, he’s great.”
Though San Jose lost on Tuesday, the team was taking some positives from the defeat.
The Sharks put 41 shots on goal — just the third time this year they’ve registered 40-plus — with Burns scoring once, his first goal of the year.
The biggest development, though, might be that head coach Todd McLellan might’ve found a winger for Thornton and Logan Couture.
A number of skaters have had the opportunity to fill the void this season — including the likes of Bracken Kearns and Tommy Wingels — but none have found success.
Burns is hoping he’ll be able to change that.
“It’s a joy to play with those guys,” he explained. “I think we were in their end a lot of the game. Big bodies, I think we play a hard style. I felt good.”
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 7
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 34
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 147
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (147)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)