Mar 13, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT
Throughout the season, NBCSN will feature the NHL’s fiercest rivalries on Wednesday nights. Tonight the Philadelphia Flyers will head to the Prudential Center for a match against the New Jersey Devils at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Just how big is this game for Philadelphia? Flyers starting goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov thinks their season is as good as over if they lose both games of their home-and-home series against the Devils tonight and Friday.
“Maybe the two biggest games of the season for us,” 33-year-old forward Simon Gagne said. “After that it could be a big difference where we want to be in the standings.”
That’s certainly true, and it’s for the same reason that the New Jersey Devils can’t afford to lose this these contests either. Only four points separate these two squads and while New Jersey has the superior record, they have only the slimmest of leads in the Eastern Conference standings.
“Obviously Philly is playing for their life here and we should have the same mindset,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said in a Star-Ledger report.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Since Martin Brodeur’s last game, the Devils are an ugly 2-6-1, although they have recently eked out shootout wins against the Buffalo Sabres and Winnipeg Jets in between a blowout loss to the Carolina Hurricanes.
Brodeur (back) is making progress, however slowly, but in the meantime they need to win some big games like this one without him.
Otherwise teams on the outside looking in like the Flyers will catch up with them before Brodeur has a chance to block another shot.
Probable goaltenders: PHI – Bryzgalov (12-11-1, 2.77 GAA, .899 SV%) | NJD – Johan Hedberg (4-7-2, 2.97 GAA, .879 SV%)
Philadelphia – Forwards: Tye McGinn (eye), Jody Shelley (hip) Defensemen: Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), Chris Pronger (concussion)
New Jersey – Forwards: Dainius Zubrus (wrist) Defensemen: Henrik Tallinder (lower body) Goaltenders: Brodeur (back)
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)