Mar 13, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT
Throughout the season, NBCSN will feature the NHL’s fiercest rivalries on Wednesday nights. Tonight the Philadelphia Flyers will head to the Prudential Center for a match against the New Jersey Devils at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Just how big is this game for Philadelphia? Flyers starting goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov thinks their season is as good as over if they lose both games of their home-and-home series against the Devils tonight and Friday.
“Maybe the two biggest games of the season for us,” 33-year-old forward Simon Gagne said. “After that it could be a big difference where we want to be in the standings.”
That’s certainly true, and it’s for the same reason that the New Jersey Devils can’t afford to lose this these contests either. Only four points separate these two squads and while New Jersey has the superior record, they have only the slimmest of leads in the Eastern Conference standings.
“Obviously Philly is playing for their life here and we should have the same mindset,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said in a Star-Ledger report.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Since Martin Brodeur’s last game, the Devils are an ugly 2-6-1, although they have recently eked out shootout wins against the Buffalo Sabres and Winnipeg Jets in between a blowout loss to the Carolina Hurricanes.
Brodeur (back) is making progress, however slowly, but in the meantime they need to win some big games like this one without him.
Otherwise teams on the outside looking in like the Flyers will catch up with them before Brodeur has a chance to block another shot.
Probable goaltenders: PHI – Bryzgalov (12-11-1, 2.77 GAA, .899 SV%) | NJD – Johan Hedberg (4-7-2, 2.97 GAA, .879 SV%)
Philadelphia – Forwards: Tye McGinn (eye), Jody Shelley (hip) Defensemen: Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), Chris Pronger (concussion)
New Jersey – Forwards: Dainius Zubrus (wrist) Defensemen: Henrik Tallinder (lower body) Goaltenders: Brodeur (back)
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 0
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 18
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (83)