Report: Montreal forward Geoffrion retires (Updated)

Mar 13, 2013, 1:32 PM EDT

Blake Geoffrion Getty Images

He’s only 25 years old, but Blake Geoffrion’s professional hockey career is over. According to ESPN’s John Buccigross, the Montreal Canadiens forward has informed the club he’s retiring after suffering a serious head injury while playing for AHL Hamilton in November.

“I love the game of hockey more than anything and this decision tears me up inside,” Geoffrion said, “but we are talking about my brain. Not a knee or a shoulder. I want to have a family, have kids, play with them and [have] a strong quality of life for another 60 or 70 years.

“These last three months of recovery have been hell. For two months I would sit in the shower for an hour with no lights on. My head was throbbing. The plate in my head is still sensitive. I’ve tried to put a hockey helmet on four or five times and I can’t even put that on yet.”

On Nov. 9, Geoffrion required immediate surgery for a depressed skull fracture that he sustained on a hit (video) from Jean-Philippe Cote of the Syracuse Crunch.

Geoffrion was drafted 56th overall by Nashville in 2006. A star with the University of Wisconsin, he was the Hobey Baker winner in 2010.

He was also a fourth-generation Hab, as the son of former Canadien Danny Geoffrion, the grandson of Hall of Famer Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion and the great-grandson of another Hall of Famer, Howie Morenz.

Update from John Glennon of The Tennessean (1:41 p.m ET):

Update (3:53 p.m. ET):

In a release, the Canadiens confirmed that Geoffrion “notified general manager Marc Bergevin Wednesday that in light of his health condition, which has shown no significant improvement since he underwent surgery last November 10, he felt it was his responsibility to inform the Canadiens’ management that he was considering retiring from professional hockey.”

1. esracerx46 - Mar 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Tons of potential that will never be realized. Wish him all the best in his future endeavors, and kudos to him in realizing life isnt a game.

• bcsteele - Mar 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

• bcsteele - Mar 13, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Well to update my comment: He needs to be carefu take all things into consideration when thinking about his overall future.

2. jaredphi - Mar 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Wow. I feel so bad for this guy.

It’s a real shame he didn’t have more time to play the game he loves….but I completely understand his decision.

Best of luck to you, Blake. I hope you find something else you love as much as hockey.

• jaredphi - Mar 13, 2013 at 3:48 PM

So who’s the jackhole that went through the comments thread giving every post a thumbs down.

If he or she doesn’t reveal themselves, they are officially branded a coward.

• sabatimus - Mar 13, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Unless every comment receiving a thumbs-down is one by habsman.

3. buckyblackhawk - Mar 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Overall great person, one of the greatest players to put on the Wisconsin uniform. Sad….but smart move.

4. vshehane - Mar 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

So sad to see this. He will always be a hero in Nashville as the first Tennessee boy drafted. He is such a good guy and has a great family. Good luck, Blake!

5. scionofflame - Mar 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM

So sad, but at least he’s getting out before he takes any more punishment. I wish him all the best. Nashville will miss you being on the ice, Blake.

6. puckmepuckyou - Mar 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Wow. That sucks for the whole hockey world. This kid had hall of fame grandfathers and a NHL dad. If he is done then I hope he has a son who loves the game.

7. sabatimus - Mar 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I’m glad he’s got his priorities in healthy check…unlike, say, Brian Urlacher.

8. cowboyscanada - Mar 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Smart move! Good luck in your future! Maybe the Habs can find him a job in the organization if he still wants to be involved in hockey.

9. JoeAvg - Mar 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM

This is sad but you have to wonder if this is just the actions of a depressed individual. He may feel differently in a moment of clarity. Let’s just hope he has more of those (moments of clarity that is) that continue to last longer.

Good luck Blake. Nothing but the best for you!

10. dan46778 - Mar 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM

If habsman was here he would blame some one from Boston… But I wish the kid The best

11. lordstanley65 - Mar 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM

That is truly sad news. I think it is smart for this kid to make the call he has, though. He’s still a young guy who can do a lot with his future. Why try to push it and do more harm to himself? Good luck to him going forward.

12. dropthepuckeh - Mar 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Best wishes from this Bruins fan to him. His priorities, hockey lineage and historically classy organization are admirable regardless of the jersey…

• sabatimus - Mar 13, 2013 at 10:52 PM

This makes me think of Marc Savard. I’m worried about his future as a human being for almost precisely the reasons Geoffrion retired.

13. withseidelinn - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I’ve had a pretty serious concussion myself from a brutal hit from behind playing junior hockey. Resulted in some minor internal bleeding, and about 5.5 months later I’m still not 100%. I can’t even imagine what this guy is going through with a skull fracture. The severity of the concussion itself must be extremely crippling. Wish the guy all the best in the future as hanging up the skates at age 25 must be incredibly tough to do, especially when you’ve made it to the NHL. Sad story.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches