Mar 13, 2013, 6:18 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have been dealt another blow up front, as center Paul Gaustad has been sent home from their Western road trip after suffering an upper-body injury against Dallas on Tuesday.
Gaustad, 31, left last night’s game late in the second period and didn’t return.
Today, news broke that he’d been sent back to Nashville for further examination, putting his status for the remainder of the roadie (the Preds have four games remaining) in doubt.
The injury will leave Nashville pretty thin up front, as the club put leading scorer Colin Wilson and three-time 20-goalscorer Patric Hornqvist on injured reserve earlier this week.
Josh Cooper of The Tennessean reports forward Chris Mueller has been recalled from AHL Milwaukee and will meet the team in Vancouver. The Preds take on the Canucks Thursday night at Rogers Arena.
As for Gaustad, it’s unclear exactly what his ailment is, but the veteran has missed extended time this year with an upper-body ailment that may (or, may not) be related to his current injury.
The former Buffalo Sabre has appeared in 19 games this season for the Preds, scoring 1G-3A-4PTS while averaging over 14 minutes per game.
Gaustad has always been dynamite in the faceoff circle and this season has been no exception. He ranks third in the NHL, winning draws at a 60.7 percent clip.
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 57
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (57)