Mar 13, 2013, 6:18 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have been dealt another blow up front, as center Paul Gaustad has been sent home from their Western road trip after suffering an upper-body injury against Dallas on Tuesday.
Gaustad, 31, left last night’s game late in the second period and didn’t return.
Today, news broke that he’d been sent back to Nashville for further examination, putting his status for the remainder of the roadie (the Preds have four games remaining) in doubt.
The injury will leave Nashville pretty thin up front, as the club put leading scorer Colin Wilson and three-time 20-goalscorer Patric Hornqvist on injured reserve earlier this week.
Josh Cooper of The Tennessean reports forward Chris Mueller has been recalled from AHL Milwaukee and will meet the team in Vancouver. The Preds take on the Canucks Thursday night at Rogers Arena.
As for Gaustad, it’s unclear exactly what his ailment is, but the veteran has missed extended time this year with an upper-body ailment that may (or, may not) be related to his current injury.
The former Buffalo Sabre has appeared in 19 games this season for the Preds, scoring 1G-3A-4PTS while averaging over 14 minutes per game.
Gaustad has always been dynamite in the faceoff circle and this season has been no exception. He ranks third in the NHL, winning draws at a 60.7 percent clip.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 10
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 20
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 66
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 26
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (150)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (103)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)