Mar 13, 2013, 11:41 AM EDT
The Toronto hockey media horde was out in full force at Marlies practice this morning, eager to follow up on a tweet from Jake Gardiner’s agent that suggested the young defenseman needed to be “freed” from the AHL club and promoted to the suddenly struggling Maple Leafs.
“From his agent’s standpoint, I’m not sure it was well thought out,” said Marlies coach Dallas Eakins, per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
As for Gardiner, the 22-year-old played it a bit more diplomatically than his representative did last night: “I’m just waiting for my opportunity.”
Gardiner has 30 points in 40 games with the Marlies this season, and with the parent club having lost three straight, his opportunity could theoretically be coming soon.
Unless, of course, Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle decides he won’t have his plans dictated by agents.
Update (3:59 p.m. ET):
Via TSN’s Jonas Siegel, here’s Carlyle: “When we feel it’s time for Jake Gardiner to come back we’re going to make that decision, and we’re not going to be influenced by anybody other than the people that are doing the assessing.”
Jun 3, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Rahm Emanuel doesn’t care for Tampa Bay’s controversial ticket policy.
Jun 3, 2015, 11:36 AM EDT
Veteran has spent the last four years with the Arizona organization.
Jun 3, 2015, 11:18 AM EDT
Coin’s been good this postseason. Real good. But will it coin up on the big stage?
Jun 3, 2015, 11:05 AM EDT
Jun 3, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Anonymous donor has also been discharged and “is doing extremely well.”
Jun 3, 2015, 10:36 AM EDT
Jacob Markstrom continues to shine in the AHL.
Jun 3, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
He felt Anaheim’s structure “went right out the window” towards the end of the Western Conference Final.
Jun 3, 2015, 9:01 AM EDT
He wasn’t talking about the first overall selection.
Jun 3, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Jun 3, 2015, 1:15 AM EDT
He remains the front runner to fill the spot left by Mike Babcock.
Jun 3, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT
The club is also working on a deal for Andrej Sekera.
Jun 2, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
The club is bringing in outside help to deal with the off-ice issues.
Jun 2, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
He was given permission to explore other opportunities.
Jun 2, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
The defenseman signed a six-year, $33 million extension on Tuesday.
Jun 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
His one-year contract is set to expire next month.
Jun 2, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
He was set to become an unrestricted free agent next month.
Jun 2, 2015, 5:08 PM EDT
“You need young players to succeed in this day and age.”
Jun 2, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
“It’s nice to score a goal every once in a while.”
Jun 2, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
On Tuesday, the veteran forward reminisced about his 10 years in Chicago.
Jun 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
He was a rookie in 2000 when his Stars lost to the Devils.
- Chicago mayor rips Lightning for being ‘afraid’ to sell tickets to Blackhawks fans 0
- PHT’s Stanley Cup Final picks, once again featuring The Coin 0
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 22
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 6
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 54
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 25
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 11
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (87)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)