Mar 13, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
The Flyers will take a page out of the Sabres’ history book on Wednesday.
Philadelphia will ice a modern version of the French Connection line — made famous in Buffalo during the 70s by Gilbert Perreault, Rick Martin and Rene Robert — by putting Sean Couturier between Daniel Briere and Simon Gagne to face the Devils in New Jersey (on NBCSN).
“I like it,” Couturier told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “We can speak French and get some strategy going without the other team knowing it.”
Couturier, 20, is from Bathurst, New Brunswick — a city where over 50 percent of the population speaks French only. He’ll be the baby-faced (or, visage poupin) center for the 33-year-old Gagne (from Sainte-Foy, Quebec) and the 35-year-old Briere (from Gatineau, Quebec).
“Hopefully, with the other two French guys, we can start to do something,” Briere told the Inquirer. “I played with Simon quite a bit before, so at least it’s someone that I know, and we’ve got some young legs with us.”
Gagne and Briere were occasional linemates during Philly’s run to the Stanley Cup in 2010, combining for 42 points as the Flyers lost in six games to Chicago in the finals.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 67
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 86
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)