Mar 13, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
The Flyers will take a page out of the Sabres’ history book on Wednesday.
Philadelphia will ice a modern version of the French Connection line — made famous in Buffalo during the 70s by Gilbert Perreault, Rick Martin and Rene Robert — by putting Sean Couturier between Daniel Briere and Simon Gagne to face the Devils in New Jersey (on NBCSN).
“I like it,” Couturier told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “We can speak French and get some strategy going without the other team knowing it.”
Couturier, 20, is from Bathurst, New Brunswick — a city where over 50 percent of the population speaks French only. He’ll be the baby-faced (or, visage poupin) center for the 33-year-old Gagne (from Sainte-Foy, Quebec) and the 35-year-old Briere (from Gatineau, Quebec).
“Hopefully, with the other two French guys, we can start to do something,” Briere told the Inquirer. “I played with Simon quite a bit before, so at least it’s someone that I know, and we’ve got some young legs with us.”
Gagne and Briere were occasional linemates during Philly’s run to the Stanley Cup in 2010, combining for 42 points as the Flyers lost in six games to Chicago in the finals.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 16
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 24
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)