Mar 13, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
The NHL has suspended Anaheim forward Corey Perry four games for hitting Minnesota’s Jason Zucker on Tuesday night.
“In spite of the fact that all players need to be aware of their surroundings, it is perfectly reasonable that Zucker should no longer expect to be hit this long after possession,” said Rob Blake of the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, noting that Perry hit Zucker a full second after the puck was released.
“Furthermore, although all plays develop quickly, Perry has enough time to avoid this violent check or, at the very least, minimize it more significantly.”
Here’s the full video explanation:
Perry, the NHL’s MVP and goalscoring champ in 2010-11, was assessed a five-minute major for interference and game misconduct on the play, and will now miss Anaheim’s upcoming games against Dallas (Mar. 14), St. Louis (Mar. 16), San Jose (Mar. 18) and Chicago (Mar. 20).
He’s eligible to return for the Ducks’ Mar. 22 game against Detroit.
Perry will also forfeit a whopping $115,135.12 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)