Mar 13, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
For the first time in over a month, Michal Neuvirth is set to start in goal for the Washington Capitals.
Caps head coach Adam Oates confirmed today that Neuvirth is getting the nod Thursday in Carolina. Washington has lost three straight, including last night’s “terrible” 4-0 home defeat to the Hurricanes.
Neuvirth’s last start, on Feb. 7 versus Pittsburgh, didn’t last long, as he was replaced by Braden Holtby in the second period after allowing two goals on 11 shots in an eventual 5-2 loss.
“It’s been a long time since I started,” Neuvirth said today, per CSNWashington. “I’ve been good in practice but practice is not a game.”
The 24-year-old did see some action Sunday in relief of Holtby, stopping 10 of 11 shots in a 4-1 loss to the Rangers.
Overall, Neuvirth is 1-4-1 with a low .890 save percentage.
Related: Oates reunites Ovechkin, Backstrom
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 1
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 33
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 67
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte