Mar 13, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
For the first time in over a month, Michal Neuvirth is set to start in goal for the Washington Capitals.
Caps head coach Adam Oates confirmed today that Neuvirth is getting the nod Thursday in Carolina. Washington has lost three straight, including last night’s “terrible” 4-0 home defeat to the Hurricanes.
Neuvirth’s last start, on Feb. 7 versus Pittsburgh, didn’t last long, as he was replaced by Braden Holtby in the second period after allowing two goals on 11 shots in an eventual 5-2 loss.
“It’s been a long time since I started,” Neuvirth said today, per CSNWashington. “I’ve been good in practice but practice is not a game.”
The 24-year-old did see some action Sunday in relief of Holtby, stopping 10 of 11 shots in a 4-1 loss to the Rangers.
Overall, Neuvirth is 1-4-1 with a low .890 save percentage.
Related: Oates reunites Ovechkin, Backstrom
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 40
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)