Mar 13, 2013, 2:51 PM EST
For the first time in over a month, Michal Neuvirth is set to start in goal for the Washington Capitals.
Caps head coach Adam Oates confirmed today that Neuvirth is getting the nod Thursday in Carolina. Washington has lost three straight, including last night’s “terrible” 4-0 home defeat to the Hurricanes.
Neuvirth’s last start, on Feb. 7 versus Pittsburgh, didn’t last long, as he was replaced by Braden Holtby in the second period after allowing two goals on 11 shots in an eventual 5-2 loss.
“It’s been a long time since I started,” Neuvirth said today, per CSNWashington. “I’ve been good in practice but practice is not a game.”
The 24-year-old did see some action Sunday in relief of Holtby, stopping 10 of 11 shots in a 4-1 loss to the Rangers.
Overall, Neuvirth is 1-4-1 with a low .890 save percentage.
Related: Oates reunites Ovechkin, Backstrom
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 17
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)