Mar 13, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
If one were to dissect the logic of goalie Ilya Bryzgalov, the Philadelphia Flyers are half done.
The perplexing 32 year old was recently quoted as saying the Flyers were “done” if they lose both games in a home-and-home with the New Jersey Devils.
On Wednesday, the Flyers lost the first half of this two-game set with the Devils, and they lost big.
The Devils pumped five pucks past Bryzgalov on 32 shots, in a 5-2 thumping of the Flyers. It seems anything Bryzgalov says and does is going to get a reaction. Twitter didn’t disappoint.
Sources: Ilya Bryzgalov is currently in space exploring the universe. The man you see in net is just a cardboard display.—
Drew Cohen (@DrewBCohen) March 14, 2013
You've got to think Peter Laviolette was punishing Ilya Bryzgalov by electing not to pull him in the game after his 'we're done' comments.—
Adam Scully (@adam_scully) March 14, 2013
Seeing lots of Twitter blame aimed at Ilya Bryzgalov. He's one to blame for the Flyers woes right now, but he is far from the only one.—
Dan Rosen (@drosennhl) March 14, 2013
The two teams face off again Friday in Philadelphia. A loss, and the Flyers are done – at least based on what Bryzgalov says.
The standings may prove otherwise, although they don’t necessarily paint a flattering picture. The Flyers are only three points out of a playoff spot.
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 84
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 7
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (84)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)