Mar 13, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
If one were to dissect the logic of goalie Ilya Bryzgalov, the Philadelphia Flyers are half done.
The perplexing 32 year old was recently quoted as saying the Flyers were “done” if they lose both games in a home-and-home with the New Jersey Devils.
On Wednesday, the Flyers lost the first half of this two-game set with the Devils, and they lost big.
The Devils pumped five pucks past Bryzgalov on 32 shots, in a 5-2 thumping of the Flyers. It seems anything Bryzgalov says and does is going to get a reaction. Twitter didn’t disappoint.
Sources: Ilya Bryzgalov is currently in space exploring the universe. The man you see in net is just a cardboard display.—
Drew Cohen (@DrewBCohen) March 14, 2013
You've got to think Peter Laviolette was punishing Ilya Bryzgalov by electing not to pull him in the game after his 'we're done' comments.—
Adam Scully (@adam_scully) March 14, 2013
Seeing lots of Twitter blame aimed at Ilya Bryzgalov. He's one to blame for the Flyers woes right now, but he is far from the only one.—
Dan Rosen (@drosennhl) March 14, 2013
The two teams face off again Friday in Philadelphia. A loss, and the Flyers are done – at least based on what Bryzgalov says.
The standings may prove otherwise, although they don’t necessarily paint a flattering picture. The Flyers are only three points out of a playoff spot.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 2
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 11
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13