Mar 12, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
After being a healthy scratch in four of the last eight games, Minnesota’s Mikael Granlund was sent to AHL Houston on Tuesday.
Granlund, 21, was heavily hyped heading into this season and on a number of Calder Trophy shortlists — and with good reason.
The ninth overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft was tearing up the American League during the lockout, scoring 21 points in 21 games while winning Rookie of the Month for October.
The Finnish forward then started fast to begin the year — he scored in his NHL debut, a 4-2 win over Colorado — and had a nice streak in February where he scored points in three consecutive games and logged a career-high in ice time (19:14) against Calgary on the 11th.
Lately, though, Granlund’s been a spectator.
He was held out of Minnesota’s last two games — victories over the Predators and Canucks, the latter moving the Wild atop the Northwest Division — and in his last contest, a 5-3 loss to Chicago, he finished a disastrous minus-3 with no points and just one shot on goal.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)