Mar 12, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
After being a healthy scratch in four of the last eight games, Minnesota’s Mikael Granlund was sent to AHL Houston on Tuesday.
Granlund, 21, was heavily hyped heading into this season and on a number of Calder Trophy shortlists — and with good reason.
The ninth overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft was tearing up the American League during the lockout, scoring 21 points in 21 games while winning Rookie of the Month for October.
The Finnish forward then started fast to begin the year — he scored in his NHL debut, a 4-2 win over Colorado — and had a nice streak in February where he scored points in three consecutive games and logged a career-high in ice time (19:14) against Calgary on the 11th.
Lately, though, Granlund’s been a spectator.
He was held out of Minnesota’s last two games — victories over the Predators and Canucks, the latter moving the Wild atop the Northwest Division — and in his last contest, a 5-3 loss to Chicago, he finished a disastrous minus-3 with no points and just one shot on goal.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 8
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)