Mar 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have done a lot of losing to be able to boast so many talented, young players. According to general manager Steve Tambellini, they’re not going to jeopardize a bright future for a “quick fix.”
Even though they keep losing.
Indeed, with the Oilers (9-11-5) facing a seventh consecutive season of missing the playoffs — and with management hearing from an increasingly fed-up fan base — Tambellini was preaching patience today as the April 3 trade deadline approaches.
“Whether you’re in the playoffs or not, if you can upgrade your team or improve it, we’ll do that but most of the people are here are the people we’re going to be counting on for some time,” Tambellini said on Tuesday, per the Edmonton Journal.
“You’re not going to give up youth just for a quick fix there that’s for sure.”
The Oilers snapped a five-game winless skid Sunday in Chicago, beating the Blackhawks, 6-5. Edmonton has one game remaining on its nine-game road trip, which goes tonight in Colorado.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)