Mar 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers have done a lot of losing to be able to boast so many talented, young players. According to general manager Steve Tambellini, they’re not going to jeopardize a bright future for a “quick fix.”
Even though they keep losing.
Indeed, with the Oilers (9-11-5) facing a seventh consecutive season of missing the playoffs — and with management hearing from an increasingly fed-up fan base — Tambellini was preaching patience today as the April 3 trade deadline approaches.
“Whether you’re in the playoffs or not, if you can upgrade your team or improve it, we’ll do that but most of the people are here are the people we’re going to be counting on for some time,” Tambellini said on Tuesday, per the Edmonton Journal.
“You’re not going to give up youth just for a quick fix there that’s for sure.”
The Oilers snapped a five-game winless skid Sunday in Chicago, beating the Blackhawks, 6-5. Edmonton has one game remaining on its nine-game road trip, which goes tonight in Colorado.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)