Mar 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have done a lot of losing to be able to boast so many talented, young players. According to general manager Steve Tambellini, they’re not going to jeopardize a bright future for a “quick fix.”
Even though they keep losing.
Indeed, with the Oilers (9-11-5) facing a seventh consecutive season of missing the playoffs — and with management hearing from an increasingly fed-up fan base — Tambellini was preaching patience today as the April 3 trade deadline approaches.
“Whether you’re in the playoffs or not, if you can upgrade your team or improve it, we’ll do that but most of the people are here are the people we’re going to be counting on for some time,” Tambellini said on Tuesday, per the Edmonton Journal.
“You’re not going to give up youth just for a quick fix there that’s for sure.”
The Oilers snapped a five-game winless skid Sunday in Chicago, beating the Blackhawks, 6-5. Edmonton has one game remaining on its nine-game road trip, which goes tonight in Colorado.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)