Mar 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers have done a lot of losing to be able to boast so many talented, young players. According to general manager Steve Tambellini, they’re not going to jeopardize a bright future for a “quick fix.”
Even though they keep losing.
Indeed, with the Oilers (9-11-5) facing a seventh consecutive season of missing the playoffs — and with management hearing from an increasingly fed-up fan base — Tambellini was preaching patience today as the April 3 trade deadline approaches.
“Whether you’re in the playoffs or not, if you can upgrade your team or improve it, we’ll do that but most of the people are here are the people we’re going to be counting on for some time,” Tambellini said on Tuesday, per the Edmonton Journal.
“You’re not going to give up youth just for a quick fix there that’s for sure.”
The Oilers snapped a five-game winless skid Sunday in Chicago, beating the Blackhawks, 6-5. Edmonton has one game remaining on its nine-game road trip, which goes tonight in Colorado.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)