Mar 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have done a lot of losing to be able to boast so many talented, young players. According to general manager Steve Tambellini, they’re not going to jeopardize a bright future for a “quick fix.”
Even though they keep losing.
Indeed, with the Oilers (9-11-5) facing a seventh consecutive season of missing the playoffs — and with management hearing from an increasingly fed-up fan base — Tambellini was preaching patience today as the April 3 trade deadline approaches.
“Whether you’re in the playoffs or not, if you can upgrade your team or improve it, we’ll do that but most of the people are here are the people we’re going to be counting on for some time,” Tambellini said on Tuesday, per the Edmonton Journal.
“You’re not going to give up youth just for a quick fix there that’s for sure.”
The Oilers snapped a five-game winless skid Sunday in Chicago, beating the Blackhawks, 6-5. Edmonton has one game remaining on its nine-game road trip, which goes tonight in Colorado.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)