Mar 12, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
Nashville Predators goaltender Pekka Rinne is an early contender for the Vezina Trophy, but put him in a one-on-one situation after overtime and he’s very beatable.
Rinne has suffered an NHL-high five shootout losses and has an abysmal .556 save percentage in that category. For a team that frequently can’t settle games in the first 60 minutes, that’s a big problem.
“I feel like I’m probably not so comfortable right now in shootout situations,” said Rinne, according to The Tennessean.
“It’s rough when you don’t do well in shootouts because in the past, I feel like it’s always been something that I liked and I’ve been pretty strong in them. This year it’s just that something is missing and I get frustrated over that, and I should be just even-keeled.”
Rinne would describe himself as “terrible in the shootouts” so far this season, but Predators coach Barry Trotz wasn’t nearly as harsh on his goaltender.
Trotz feels his shooters need to do a better job giving Rinne some breathing room in shootouts. He also thinks that Rinne is putting too much pressure on himself.
“He knows we win a couple shootouts, we’re in fifth place, not 11th, and that’s just the difference right now,” Trotz said. “He’s so competitive. He’s just got to relax a little bit. I know it’s hard when he’s so competitive, but he’s a big reason we even get points a lot of nights.”
Nashville will start a rough five games in eight days road trip on Tuesday with a contest against the Dallas Stars. They will be relying heavily on Rinne to get them through it.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)