Mar 12, 2013, 8:39 PM EDT
Through thick and thin, Ryan Miller has been the Buffalo Sabres’ go-to guy. There are some rumblings that might change, though.
The number of days might be fairly high, however, as Kypreos notes that a weak market could force the Sabres to wait until this summer or even the 2013-14 season to make a move.
The concept of moving Miller probably seems outrageous because there are many times when he appears to be one of the only bright spots for a fledgling Sabres squad.
Still, he’s not getting any younger at 32 and the team might want to shed his $6.25 million cap hit if they’re not a contender with him, anyway.
Miller’s current deal expires after 2013-14, making his departure easier to stomach if the front office doesn’t feel confident about his future with the team and simplifying a trade because he lacks an albatross contract.
Do note that the Sabres are unlikely to confirm such a rumor – whether there’s some truth to it or not – so we’ll just have to wait and see (and imagine interesting hypothetical destinations).
Update: here’s video of Kypreos’ claims (H/T to Kukla’s Korner)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (47)