Mar 12, 2013, 8:39 PM EDT
Through thick and thin, Ryan Miller has been the Buffalo Sabres’ go-to guy. There are some rumblings that might change, though.
The number of days might be fairly high, however, as Kypreos notes that a weak market could force the Sabres to wait until this summer or even the 2013-14 season to make a move.
The concept of moving Miller probably seems outrageous because there are many times when he appears to be one of the only bright spots for a fledgling Sabres squad.
Still, he’s not getting any younger at 32 and the team might want to shed his $6.25 million cap hit if they’re not a contender with him, anyway.
Miller’s current deal expires after 2013-14, making his departure easier to stomach if the front office doesn’t feel confident about his future with the team and simplifying a trade because he lacks an albatross contract.
Do note that the Sabres are unlikely to confirm such a rumor – whether there’s some truth to it or not – so we’ll just have to wait and see (and imagine interesting hypothetical destinations).
Update: here’s video of Kypreos’ claims (H/T to Kukla’s Korner)
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 31
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)