Mar 12, 2013, 8:39 PM EST
Through thick and thin, Ryan Miller has been the Buffalo Sabres’ go-to guy. There are some rumblings that might change, though.
The number of days might be fairly high, however, as Kypreos notes that a weak market could force the Sabres to wait until this summer or even the 2013-14 season to make a move.
The concept of moving Miller probably seems outrageous because there are many times when he appears to be one of the only bright spots for a fledgling Sabres squad.
Still, he’s not getting any younger at 32 and the team might want to shed his $6.25 million cap hit if they’re not a contender with him, anyway.
Miller’s current deal expires after 2013-14, making his departure easier to stomach if the front office doesn’t feel confident about his future with the team and simplifying a trade because he lacks an albatross contract.
Do note that the Sabres are unlikely to confirm such a rumor – whether there’s some truth to it or not – so we’ll just have to wait and see (and imagine interesting hypothetical destinations).
Update: here’s video of Kypreos’ claims (H/T to Kukla’s Korner)
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)