Perry on hit: ‘It’s unfortunate’

Mar 12, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT

coreyperrygetty Getty Images

Corey Perry expressed some remorse about his hit on Jason Zucker to Yahoo’s Nick Cotsonika on Tuesday.

“I was committed to the hit. … I tried to let up,” Perry said. “It’s hard. It happens so fast. It’s unfortunate.”

While Perry passed along a message to Zucker that he was sorry, he insisted that he never targeted the Minnesota Wild forward’s head.

“No. I don’t go out there looking to hurt guys,” Perry said. “That’s not the way I am. That’s not me as a person.”

Perry, 27, received a game misconduct and five-minute major for interference for that check, which knocked Zucker, 21, out of the contest.

The Ducks ended up winning 2-1. Perry was suspended for four games after elbowing then-rookie Claude Giroux in 2009.

1. tyler4richardson - Mar 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I believe him. He says the same thing at our sleepover parties, where I took that photo for him.

2. jakreidler - Mar 12, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Come on over to Detroit. We forgive you.

3. billymccloskey - Mar 12, 2013 at 11:35 PM

After. Rung at that game, I call BS. Lost respect for you

4. growingupbryce - Mar 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM

People don’t understand in today’s day in age that mistakes happen. He said it was too hard and too fast and he couldn’t stop and I believe him. I wish more people had faith in humanity.

• paperlions - Mar 13, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Are you familiar with humanity? Have you been paying attention? There is no need for faith with so much evidence of exactly what “humanity” is capable of.

Yes, hockey is a fast game, but if players were not capable of pulling up on hits this late there would be an interference penalty every 30 seconds. In short, guys pull up on situations like this all day, he knew the puck was long gone and instead of pealing off he just kept coming, took his hand off his stick, and raised his elbow. He made the choice to follow through with the hit.

5. thehighcountrybear - Mar 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Corey, come on over to Detroit, you will be loved! And, we’ll see if we can find you some of Gordie’s old elbow pads, they’ll come in real handy against original six teams next season…

• chasingfisher - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Wouldn’t love anything more than that or even Bobby!

6. 2qswing - Mar 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Always been a cheap-shot artist

7. northstarnic - Mar 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Okay, i’ll try again – see if the censors will let this comment through. Perry’s suspension, whatever it is, will not be long enough. Dirty, dirty hit to a defenseless player’s head well after the play. Plus, he’s a liar for his explanation of the hit. Dirt bag.

8. mnrube23 - Mar 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Northstarnic did you use a different “D”word? Want to read the original comment.

9. northstarnic - Mar 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM

There was a little more anger in my first comment. And apparently NBC doesn’t like the “r” word.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches