Mar 12, 2013, 5:37 PM EST
Three NHL draft picks have plead guilty to charges of supplying alcohol to minors at a team party last September.
University of North Dakota captain Andrew MacWilliam, Toronto’s seventh-round pick at the 2008 draft, assistant captain Danny Kristo (Montreal, 2nd round 2008), defenseman Joe Gleason (Chicago, 7th round 2008) and forward Carter Rowney (undrafted) all reached plea agreements last week and were given deferred sentences.
The players — along with Hobey Baker hopeful Corban Knight — found themselves in hot water last year following a Sept. 15 team party.
Details of what transpired were unknown at the time, but MacWilliam (pictured), Kristo, Knight and Rowney were suspended for UND’s season-opening game, followed by this press release from the North Dakota athletic department:
“The behavior in this situation was unacceptable,” [UND Director of Athletics Brian] Faison said. “Measures taken by the athletics department do not preclude possible additional measures by the department, or actions by the University or local and state authorities.”
“Recent actions by our team are not a good representation of our place as role models within our community,” said UND head men’s hockey coach Dave Hakstol. “We have young men of high character in our locker room, but our players, and in particular our leaders, must be accountable for their actions.”
In addition to the suspension of the team captains, Faison also announced several additional team disciplinary measures including, but not limited to:
- Athletics Department-issued team probation under which any further violations by a team member could result in immediate reduction of scholarship, suspension from competition, or expulsion from the program.
- The implementation of a mandatory team community service program
- Weekly team alcohol education programming
Gleason wasn’t part of the original UND suspension, but has since been charged.
The charges against Knight were dropped after Grand Forks County prosecutor David Jones told the Associated Press there was no evidence he was involved in the case.
Image courtesy UNDsports.com
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8