Mar 12, 2013, 5:37 PM EST
Three NHL draft picks have plead guilty to charges of supplying alcohol to minors at a team party last September.
University of North Dakota captain Andrew MacWilliam, Toronto’s seventh-round pick at the 2008 draft, assistant captain Danny Kristo (Montreal, 2nd round 2008), defenseman Joe Gleason (Chicago, 7th round 2008) and forward Carter Rowney (undrafted) all reached plea agreements last week and were given deferred sentences.
The players — along with Hobey Baker hopeful Corban Knight — found themselves in hot water last year following a Sept. 15 team party.
Details of what transpired were unknown at the time, but MacWilliam (pictured), Kristo, Knight and Rowney were suspended for UND’s season-opening game, followed by this press release from the North Dakota athletic department:
“The behavior in this situation was unacceptable,” [UND Director of Athletics Brian] Faison said. “Measures taken by the athletics department do not preclude possible additional measures by the department, or actions by the University or local and state authorities.”
“Recent actions by our team are not a good representation of our place as role models within our community,” said UND head men’s hockey coach Dave Hakstol. “We have young men of high character in our locker room, but our players, and in particular our leaders, must be accountable for their actions.”
In addition to the suspension of the team captains, Faison also announced several additional team disciplinary measures including, but not limited to:
- Athletics Department-issued team probation under which any further violations by a team member could result in immediate reduction of scholarship, suspension from competition, or expulsion from the program.
- The implementation of a mandatory team community service program
- Weekly team alcohol education programming
Gleason wasn’t part of the original UND suspension, but has since been charged.
The charges against Knight were dropped after Grand Forks County prosecutor David Jones told the Associated Press there was no evidence he was involved in the case.
Image courtesy UNDsports.com
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)