Mar 12, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs face a tough decision to make as they edge towards the April 3 trade deadline. They clearly have a chance to make the playoffs, but they’re not regarded as a serious Stanley Cup contender either.
So, unless something fundamentally changes over the coming weeks, should they see themselves as a buyer or seller? Listening to Leafs GM Dave Nonis, it sounds like the answer is neither.
“Right now, I don’t feel compelled to move anyone by April 3,” Nonis said in a Toronto Sun report. “And I would have to say, at least at this time, I don’t expect anything to happen (extension-wise) by that date either, although things can change.”
“I’ve never had a problem with a player who was going to be a UFA staying with the team after the trade deadline and then working something out at a later date,” Nonis said. Keep that in mind next season, which will be Phil Kessel and captain Dion Phaneuf‘s last under their current contracts.
Nonis did leave the door open to acquiring a rental player, although that seems unlikely because the trade would have to make sense in both the “short and long term.”
To further diminish that possibility, Nonis pointed out that if he was interested in rental players, he might as well just keep guys like Bozak and MacArthur.
Leafs fans shouldn’t hold their breath for the team to make a major move in the coming weeks, unless of course their position in the standings changes dramatically.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)