Mar 12, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs face a tough decision to make as they edge towards the April 3 trade deadline. They clearly have a chance to make the playoffs, but they’re not regarded as a serious Stanley Cup contender either.
So, unless something fundamentally changes over the coming weeks, should they see themselves as a buyer or seller? Listening to Leafs GM Dave Nonis, it sounds like the answer is neither.
“Right now, I don’t feel compelled to move anyone by April 3,” Nonis said in a Toronto Sun report. “And I would have to say, at least at this time, I don’t expect anything to happen (extension-wise) by that date either, although things can change.”
“I’ve never had a problem with a player who was going to be a UFA staying with the team after the trade deadline and then working something out at a later date,” Nonis said. Keep that in mind next season, which will be Phil Kessel and captain Dion Phaneuf‘s last under their current contracts.
Nonis did leave the door open to acquiring a rental player, although that seems unlikely because the trade would have to make sense in both the “short and long term.”
To further diminish that possibility, Nonis pointed out that if he was interested in rental players, he might as well just keep guys like Bozak and MacArthur.
Leafs fans shouldn’t hold their breath for the team to make a major move in the coming weeks, unless of course their position in the standings changes dramatically.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)