Mar 12, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Washington forward Brooks Laich practiced with teammates for the first time since Feb. 16.
It sounded like he needed it.
“I was almost to the breaking point,” Laich told the Washington Times. “It was a lot of tough days, a lot of long, hard days mentally for myself. I really enjoy playing the game and I really miss being part of the team.
“To be able to get this sort of mind vitamin today gives me some more energy and a better attitude and hopefully get me back in the lineup soon.”
It’s easy to understand why missing the first 24 games of the season has taken it’s toll on Laich. This is the same guy that, over the past five seasons, has missed just four games total.
Laich was pleased with how Tuesday unfolded. While there’s still no timetable for return, he was able to participate in drills and didn’t experience any setbacks.
“Felt really good,” he said. “Wasn’t hesitant. The strength felt pretty good. First time in a little while.
“I’ve skated the last couple of days just by myself, but to get back out with the team felt pretty good.”
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)