Mar 12, 2013, 3:26 PM EST
On Tuesday, Washington forward Brooks Laich practiced with teammates for the first time since Feb. 16.
It sounded like he needed it.
“I was almost to the breaking point,” Laich told the Washington Times. “It was a lot of tough days, a lot of long, hard days mentally for myself. I really enjoy playing the game and I really miss being part of the team.
“To be able to get this sort of mind vitamin today gives me some more energy and a better attitude and hopefully get me back in the lineup soon.”
It’s easy to understand why missing the first 24 games of the season has taken it’s toll on Laich. This is the same guy that, over the past five seasons, has missed just four games total.
Laich was pleased with how Tuesday unfolded. While there’s still no timetable for return, he was able to participate in drills and didn’t experience any setbacks.
“Felt really good,” he said. “Wasn’t hesitant. The strength felt pretty good. First time in a little while.
“I’ve skated the last couple of days just by myself, but to get back out with the team felt pretty good.”
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)