Mar 12, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
It’s unclear exactly how the Austrian speedster hurt his shoulder. Grabner, 25, played 13:40 in a 6-1 loss to Pittsburgh on Sunday, slightly down from the 15:31 he was averaging heading into the contest.
UPDATE: According to the Isles, Grabner was hurt during the Pens game.
His absence will hurt the Isles on a number of fronts.
He currently sits third on the team in goals, with 10, and fifth in points (13). He’s also second among all forwards in shorthanded time on ice per game and has emerged as one of the club’s top penalty killers.
It’s also unclear who the Isles will recall from AHL Bridgeport to replace Grabner — if anyone. The team doesn’t play again until Thursday (at Tampa Bay), thought it is possible this opens the door for Nino Neiderreiter to rejoin the parent club.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 22
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 12
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54