Mar 12, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
It’s unclear exactly how the Austrian speedster hurt his shoulder. Grabner, 25, played 13:40 in a 6-1 loss to Pittsburgh on Sunday, slightly down from the 15:31 he was averaging heading into the contest.
UPDATE: According to the Isles, Grabner was hurt during the Pens game.
His absence will hurt the Isles on a number of fronts.
He currently sits third on the team in goals, with 10, and fifth in points (13). He’s also second among all forwards in shorthanded time on ice per game and has emerged as one of the club’s top penalty killers.
It’s also unclear who the Isles will recall from AHL Bridgeport to replace Grabner — if anyone. The team doesn’t play again until Thursday (at Tampa Bay), thought it is possible this opens the door for Nino Neiderreiter to rejoin the parent club.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 21
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 33
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)