Mar 12, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
It’s unclear exactly how the Austrian speedster hurt his shoulder. Grabner, 25, played 13:40 in a 6-1 loss to Pittsburgh on Sunday, slightly down from the 15:31 he was averaging heading into the contest.
UPDATE: According to the Isles, Grabner was hurt during the Pens game.
His absence will hurt the Isles on a number of fronts.
He currently sits third on the team in goals, with 10, and fifth in points (13). He’s also second among all forwards in shorthanded time on ice per game and has emerged as one of the club’s top penalty killers.
It’s also unclear who the Isles will recall from AHL Bridgeport to replace Grabner — if anyone. The team doesn’t play again until Thursday (at Tampa Bay), thought it is possible this opens the door for Nino Neiderreiter to rejoin the parent club.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)