Mar 12, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
Twitter is currently awash in snark after word surfaced that former Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson is now connected to the Edmonton Oilers organization. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that he’ll act as a scout for the rest of this season.
One can only imagine the nearly limitless “blind leading the blind”-type jokes that will surface from this development.
Really, though, it’s common for teams to bring in former general managers, even if it’s just a short-term gig.
The most recent example came when the Anaheim Ducks brought former GM Brian Burke back as an interim scout after he was fired by the Toronto Maple Leafs.
For some, this presents what would be (on paper) a nightmare scenario of Howson possibly taking over for current GM Steve Tambellini at some point. In that situation, Howson would be more like Burke’s successor Dave Nonis, instead.
Those negative types might be reading a little too much into this situation by imagining that scenario, yet it really shows that things haven’t progressed for the Oilers like many had hoped.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)