Mar 12, 2013, 6:26 PM EST
Twitter is currently awash in snark after word surfaced that former Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson is now connected to the Edmonton Oilers organization. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that he’ll act as a scout for the rest of this season.
One can only imagine the nearly limitless “blind leading the blind”-type jokes that will surface from this development.
Really, though, it’s common for teams to bring in former general managers, even if it’s just a short-term gig.
The most recent example came when the Anaheim Ducks brought former GM Brian Burke back as an interim scout after he was fired by the Toronto Maple Leafs.
For some, this presents what would be (on paper) a nightmare scenario of Howson possibly taking over for current GM Steve Tambellini at some point. In that situation, Howson would be more like Burke’s successor Dave Nonis, instead.
Those negative types might be reading a little too much into this situation by imagining that scenario, yet it really shows that things haven’t progressed for the Oilers like many had hoped.
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 24
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33