Mar 12, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
Twitter is currently awash in snark after word surfaced that former Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson is now connected to the Edmonton Oilers organization. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that he’ll act as a scout for the rest of this season.
One can only imagine the nearly limitless “blind leading the blind”-type jokes that will surface from this development.
Really, though, it’s common for teams to bring in former general managers, even if it’s just a short-term gig.
The most recent example came when the Anaheim Ducks brought former GM Brian Burke back as an interim scout after he was fired by the Toronto Maple Leafs.
For some, this presents what would be (on paper) a nightmare scenario of Howson possibly taking over for current GM Steve Tambellini at some point. In that situation, Howson would be more like Burke’s successor Dave Nonis, instead.
Those negative types might be reading a little too much into this situation by imagining that scenario, yet it really shows that things haven’t progressed for the Oilers like many had hoped.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)