Mar 12, 2013, 6:51 PM EST
With Jonas Hiller improving in recent games, the Anaheim Ducks might have faced a tough decision regarding who to start against the Minnesota Wild on Tuesday. Viktor Fasth‘s injury likely simplified that decision.
The 30-year-old “rookie” suffered an upper-body injury this morning, according to the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.
(Stephens elaborated a bit more on NHL Network’s “NHL Live,” saying Fasth “tweaked something” and that it doesn’t look serious.)
The issue is serious enough that Fasth won’t suit up behind Hiller. Instead, it appears that it will be Jeff Deslauriers … if he makes it on time. In the event Deslauriers cannot, rumor has it that amateur goalie Zach Sikich could dress as the No. 2 for a night, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo.
If Fasth’s issue is significant instead, it would present a great chance for Hiller to assert himself as the No. 1 goalie (or at least improve his situation in the 1a/1b rotation).
While the 31-year-old Swiss netminder’s overall numbers are shaky, he’s improved his play recently, with a 5-0-1 mark (including a shutout) in his last six games.
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 6
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 30
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 37
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 31
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (37)