Mar 12, 2013, 6:51 PM EST
With Jonas Hiller improving in recent games, the Anaheim Ducks might have faced a tough decision regarding who to start against the Minnesota Wild on Tuesday. Viktor Fasth‘s injury likely simplified that decision.
The 30-year-old “rookie” suffered an upper-body injury this morning, according to the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.
(Stephens elaborated a bit more on NHL Network’s “NHL Live,” saying Fasth “tweaked something” and that it doesn’t look serious.)
The issue is serious enough that Fasth won’t suit up behind Hiller. Instead, it appears that it will be Jeff Deslauriers … if he makes it on time. In the event Deslauriers cannot, rumor has it that amateur goalie Zach Sikich could dress as the No. 2 for a night, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo.
If Fasth’s issue is significant instead, it would present a great chance for Hiller to assert himself as the No. 1 goalie (or at least improve his situation in the 1a/1b rotation).
While the 31-year-old Swiss netminder’s overall numbers are shaky, he’s improved his play recently, with a 5-0-1 mark (including a shutout) in his last six games.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 5
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 7
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 7
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)