Mar 12, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT
With Jonas Hiller improving in recent games, the Anaheim Ducks might have faced a tough decision regarding who to start against the Minnesota Wild on Tuesday. Viktor Fasth‘s injury likely simplified that decision.
The 30-year-old “rookie” suffered an upper-body injury this morning, according to the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.
(Stephens elaborated a bit more on NHL Network’s “NHL Live,” saying Fasth “tweaked something” and that it doesn’t look serious.)
The issue is serious enough that Fasth won’t suit up behind Hiller. Instead, it appears that it will be Jeff Deslauriers … if he makes it on time. In the event Deslauriers cannot, rumor has it that amateur goalie Zach Sikich could dress as the No. 2 for a night, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo.
If Fasth’s issue is significant instead, it would present a great chance for Hiller to assert himself as the No. 1 goalie (or at least improve his situation in the 1a/1b rotation).
While the 31-year-old Swiss netminder’s overall numbers are shaky, he’s improved his play recently, with a 5-0-1 mark (including a shutout) in his last six games.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)