Mar 12, 2013, 6:51 PM EST
With Jonas Hiller improving in recent games, the Anaheim Ducks might have faced a tough decision regarding who to start against the Minnesota Wild on Tuesday. Viktor Fasth‘s injury likely simplified that decision.
The 30-year-old “rookie” suffered an upper-body injury this morning, according to the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.
(Stephens elaborated a bit more on NHL Network’s “NHL Live,” saying Fasth “tweaked something” and that it doesn’t look serious.)
The issue is serious enough that Fasth won’t suit up behind Hiller. Instead, it appears that it will be Jeff Deslauriers … if he makes it on time. In the event Deslauriers cannot, rumor has it that amateur goalie Zach Sikich could dress as the No. 2 for a night, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo.
If Fasth’s issue is significant instead, it would present a great chance for Hiller to assert himself as the No. 1 goalie (or at least improve his situation in the 1a/1b rotation).
While the 31-year-old Swiss netminder’s overall numbers are shaky, he’s improved his play recently, with a 5-0-1 mark (including a shutout) in his last six games.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)