Mar 12, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
Once again, the Pittsburgh Penguins proved that few leads are safe when they’re involved. The Boston Bruins managed to hold onto a 2-0 lead until the third period on Tuesday, but the Penguins finished strong and got a 3-2 win in regulation.
Let’s get to the talking points.
- Brandon Sutter scored the game-tying and game-winning goals about three minutes apart, pushing his season total to eight tallies. Is it safe to say he’s an acceptable replacement (or maybe even an upgrade) over Jordan Staal for Pittsburgh?
- Can the Penguins be a legitimate Stanley Cup contender with this high-powered offense, even if they need to out-score possible problems on defense and/or in net?
- What does this game tell you about the Bruins? Did they take their foot off the pedal too much once they earned a 2-0 lead or was Pittsburgh just that good?
- Going further, does this outcome alter how you feel about which squad might be the top team in the East? Is it Pittsburgh, Boston or someone else?
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)