Mar 12, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
After winning five out of six games, the Washington Capitals have dropped three in a row, with each loss coming by at least three goals. Tuesday’s 4-0 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes might be a low point for some.
“Tonight was sixty minutes of just terrible effort from us,” Backstrom said. “I don’t know what it is, but we for sure need to talk about it.”
Head coach Adam Oates discussed how the team needs to earn their luck with The Washington Post’s Katie Carrera.
“We need some good things to happen but we’ve got to earn that,” Oates said. “We’ve got to do it ourselves.”
If you ask former Capitals defenseman Joe Corvo, it doesn’t sound like Washington believes that the breaks will start going their way.
“If you watched them play tonight, it seems like they’re missing maybe some confidence,” Corvo said.
Being second-to-last in the East will do that to you.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)