Mar 12, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
After winning five out of six games, the Washington Capitals have dropped three in a row, with each loss coming by at least three goals. Tuesday’s 4-0 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes might be a low point for some.
“Tonight was sixty minutes of just terrible effort from us,” Backstrom said. “I don’t know what it is, but we for sure need to talk about it.”
Head coach Adam Oates discussed how the team needs to earn their luck with The Washington Post’s Katie Carrera.
“We need some good things to happen but we’ve got to earn that,” Oates said. “We’ve got to do it ourselves.”
If you ask former Capitals defenseman Joe Corvo, it doesn’t sound like Washington believes that the breaks will start going their way.
“If you watched them play tonight, it seems like they’re missing maybe some confidence,” Corvo said.
Being second-to-last in the East will do that to you.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)