Mar 12, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
Whitney, 40, was off to a solid start this season after signing a two-year, $9 million deal with Dallas, notching 2G-4A-6PTS in his first eight games prior to breaking his foot.
He was also averaging over 18 minutes a game, chipping in with three power play points.
Whitney’s return to health couldn’t come at a better time. The Stars are likely to be without both Jamie Benn (wrist) and Brenden Morrow (groin) for Tuesday’s contest, though neither injury is considered serious.
Once those two get healthy, the Stars could be a dangerous team out West.
Due to a series of ailments and contract squabbles (okay, contract squabble), Dallas has been unable to field a full lineup this season.
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 21
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 58