Mar 12, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
Whitney, 40, was off to a solid start this season after signing a two-year, $9 million deal with Dallas, notching 2G-4A-6PTS in his first eight games prior to breaking his foot.
He was also averaging over 18 minutes a game, chipping in with three power play points.
Whitney’s return to health couldn’t come at a better time. The Stars are likely to be without both Jamie Benn (wrist) and Brenden Morrow (groin) for Tuesday’s contest, though neither injury is considered serious.
Once those two get healthy, the Stars could be a dangerous team out West.
Due to a series of ailments and contract squabbles (okay, contract squabble), Dallas has been unable to field a full lineup this season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)