Mar 12, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
Whitney, 40, was off to a solid start this season after signing a two-year, $9 million deal with Dallas, notching 2G-4A-6PTS in his first eight games prior to breaking his foot.
He was also averaging over 18 minutes a game, chipping in with three power play points.
Whitney’s return to health couldn’t come at a better time. The Stars are likely to be without both Jamie Benn (wrist) and Brenden Morrow (groin) for Tuesday’s contest, though neither injury is considered serious.
Once those two get healthy, the Stars could be a dangerous team out West.
Due to a series of ailments and contract squabbles (okay, contract squabble), Dallas has been unable to field a full lineup this season.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 26
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 97
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)