Mar 12, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
Whitney, 40, was off to a solid start this season after signing a two-year, $9 million deal with Dallas, notching 2G-4A-6PTS in his first eight games prior to breaking his foot.
He was also averaging over 18 minutes a game, chipping in with three power play points.
Whitney’s return to health couldn’t come at a better time. The Stars are likely to be without both Jamie Benn (wrist) and Brenden Morrow (groin) for Tuesday’s contest, though neither injury is considered serious.
Once those two get healthy, the Stars could be a dangerous team out West.
Due to a series of ailments and contract squabbles (okay, contract squabble), Dallas has been unable to field a full lineup this season.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5