Mar 12, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
Whitney, 40, was off to a solid start this season after signing a two-year, $9 million deal with Dallas, notching 2G-4A-6PTS in his first eight games prior to breaking his foot.
He was also averaging over 18 minutes a game, chipping in with three power play points.
Whitney’s return to health couldn’t come at a better time. The Stars are likely to be without both Jamie Benn (wrist) and Brenden Morrow (groin) for Tuesday’s contest, though neither injury is considered serious.
Once those two get healthy, the Stars could be a dangerous team out West.
Due to a series of ailments and contract squabbles (okay, contract squabble), Dallas has been unable to field a full lineup this season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)