Mar 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have gone 4-13-1 since February 1, so it’s reasonable that some think GM Steve Yzerman should make a big trade or two.
If he does, Yzerman told ESPN that he’ll have the future in mind in more ways than one, which means he doesn’t want to acquire a player with an expiring contract (aka a “rental” player).
“Rental players cost you draft picks or young players, we’re not interested in that,” Yzerman said. “That’s why we signed free agents in the summer, to fill those places. If there’s a trade that makes sense where a team has a need and we have a need, then it would be addressed that way.”
Yzerman admits that he hasn’t been happy with the way things have gone, but he notes the team’s upcoming schedule is lighter. There aren’t many back-to-backs, which can submarine fringe squads like the Lightning.
Even if he didn’t seem so optimistic, Yzerman indicates that there might not have been any opportunities to make a big splash, anyway.
“To sit here and say, ‘I’m going to do something big,’ there’s nothing big that can be done at this time,” Yzerman said. “It’s not like we just sit here and do nothing all day. You talk to people, you see if there’s anything that makes sense. For a lot of reasons it’s difficult to find a fit, to find the right players, the right salaries to make a trade. You don’t just do something to do it.”
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 4
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 5
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)