Mar 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have gone 4-13-1 since February 1, so it’s reasonable that some think GM Steve Yzerman should make a big trade or two.
If he does, Yzerman told ESPN that he’ll have the future in mind in more ways than one, which means he doesn’t want to acquire a player with an expiring contract (aka a “rental” player).
“Rental players cost you draft picks or young players, we’re not interested in that,” Yzerman said. “That’s why we signed free agents in the summer, to fill those places. If there’s a trade that makes sense where a team has a need and we have a need, then it would be addressed that way.”
Yzerman admits that he hasn’t been happy with the way things have gone, but he notes the team’s upcoming schedule is lighter. There aren’t many back-to-backs, which can submarine fringe squads like the Lightning.
Even if he didn’t seem so optimistic, Yzerman indicates that there might not have been any opportunities to make a big splash, anyway.
“To sit here and say, ‘I’m going to do something big,’ there’s nothing big that can be done at this time,” Yzerman said. “It’s not like we just sit here and do nothing all day. You talk to people, you see if there’s anything that makes sense. For a lot of reasons it’s difficult to find a fit, to find the right players, the right salaries to make a trade. You don’t just do something to do it.”
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 4
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 41
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)