Mar 11, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
In the latest installment of PHT Extra, Brough and I took notice of the scorching Columbus Blue Jackets — winners of five straight, the longest active streak in the league — who are racking up points thanks in large part to the play of goalie Sergei Bobrovsky.
The 25-year-old Russian ‘tender was recently named the NHL’s first star of the week after going 4-0-0 with a 0.77 GAA and .972 save percentage.
His stellar play has allowed the Jackets to climb out of the Western Conference cellar. Somewhat amazingly, they now sit just four points back of St. Louis for the final playoff spot in the West.
Just goes to show where good goaltending can get you.
On the other end of the spectrum, a number of last year’s playoff teams are struggling between the pipes.
The Blues, Kings, Penguins and Flyers all have sub-.900 save percentages and inflated GAAs, though they’re hardly alone — 10 of the NHL’s 30 teams have save percentages of .900 or less, while nine teams (Penguins, Blues, Flyers, Capitals, Sabres, Lightning, Flames, Islanders and Panthers) have collective GAAs of 2.90 or higher.
What gives? And are there goaltending fixes available?
Without further ado, to the video…This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)