Mar 11, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
In the latest installment of PHT Extra, Brough and I took notice of the scorching Columbus Blue Jackets — winners of five straight, the longest active streak in the league — who are racking up points thanks in large part to the play of goalie Sergei Bobrovsky.
The 25-year-old Russian ‘tender was recently named the NHL’s first star of the week after going 4-0-0 with a 0.77 GAA and .972 save percentage.
His stellar play has allowed the Jackets to climb out of the Western Conference cellar. Somewhat amazingly, they now sit just four points back of St. Louis for the final playoff spot in the West.
Just goes to show where good goaltending can get you.
On the other end of the spectrum, a number of last year’s playoff teams are struggling between the pipes.
The Blues, Kings, Penguins and Flyers all have sub-.900 save percentages and inflated GAAs, though they’re hardly alone — 10 of the NHL’s 30 teams have save percentages of .900 or less, while nine teams (Penguins, Blues, Flyers, Capitals, Sabres, Lightning, Flames, Islanders and Panthers) have collective GAAs of 2.90 or higher.
What gives? And are there goaltending fixes available?
Without further ado, to the video…This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- All eyes on Lundqvist 0
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)