Mar 11, 2013, 5:42 PM EST
In the latest installment of PHT Extra, Brough and I took notice of the scorching Columbus Blue Jackets — winners of five straight, the longest active streak in the league — who are racking up points thanks in large part to the play of goalie Sergei Bobrovsky.
The 25-year-old Russian ‘tender was recently named the NHL’s first star of the week after going 4-0-0 with a 0.77 GAA and .972 save percentage.
His stellar play has allowed the Jackets to climb out of the Western Conference cellar. Somewhat amazingly, they now sit just four points back of St. Louis for the final playoff spot in the West.
Just goes to show where good goaltending can get you.
On the other end of the spectrum, a number of last year’s playoff teams are struggling between the pipes.
The Blues, Kings, Penguins and Flyers all have sub-.900 save percentages and inflated GAAs, though they’re hardly alone — 10 of the NHL’s 30 teams have save percentages of .900 or less, while nine teams (Penguins, Blues, Flyers, Capitals, Sabres, Lightning, Flames, Islanders and Panthers) have collective GAAs of 2.90 or higher.
What gives? And are there goaltending fixes available?
Without further ado, to the video…This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)