Mar 11, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
Patrick Marleau netted an incredible nine goals in just five games to start the season. He’s cooled off dramatically since then, but still managed to score his 400th career goal on Sunday against the Colorado Avalanche.
“Great play by Clowie on the boards, a couple battles to get the puck and then he got it up to Brauner and Brauner made a good shot,” Marleau said in a CSN Bay Area report. “[Joe Pavelski] was right in front of the goalie, so he didn’t really see it and I was able to get a stick on it.”
Marleau, 33, is just the 30th player in the history of the NHL to net his first 400 goals with a single team. Overall, he’s the 88th member of the 400-goal club and is just two shy of retired stars John Ogrodnick and Paul Kariya.
Marleau’s goal helped the San Jose Sharks take Sunday’s game into overtime, but Colorado Avalanche forward Matt Duchene ended the game with less than a second remaining to propel Colorado to a 3-2 victory.
You can watch all the highlights from Marleau’s milestone goal to Duchene’s dramatic finish below:
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 33
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)