Mar 11, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
Patrick Marleau netted an incredible nine goals in just five games to start the season. He’s cooled off dramatically since then, but still managed to score his 400th career goal on Sunday against the Colorado Avalanche.
“Great play by Clowie on the boards, a couple battles to get the puck and then he got it up to Brauner and Brauner made a good shot,” Marleau said in a CSN Bay Area report. “[Joe Pavelski] was right in front of the goalie, so he didn’t really see it and I was able to get a stick on it.”
Marleau, 33, is just the 30th player in the history of the NHL to net his first 400 goals with a single team. Overall, he’s the 88th member of the 400-goal club and is just two shy of retired stars John Ogrodnick and Paul Kariya.
Marleau’s goal helped the San Jose Sharks take Sunday’s game into overtime, but Colorado Avalanche forward Matt Duchene ended the game with less than a second remaining to propel Colorado to a 3-2 victory.
You can watch all the highlights from Marleau’s milestone goal to Duchene’s dramatic finish below:
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)