Mar 11, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT
Is the 2013 campaign just a bump in the road in the Florida Panthers’ rebuilding process or was the 2011-12 campaign a fluke?
Either way, after making the playoffs in 2012 for the first time in over a decade, the Florida Panthers are dead last in the NHL.
Matthias was drafted by Detroit in 2006, but was traded to Florida before he ever got to play a game in the Red Wings’ organization. Matthias has consequently spent his entire 231 game NHL career with Florida.
“We need to change things, turn this ship around,” Matthias added. “It’s frustrating and it has gone on long enough. They were ripe for the picking and we didn’t take advantage of it.”
Panthers GM Dale Tallon is reportedly ready to start trading, but given the Panthers’ record, he will likely prioritize the team’s future over this season.
Meanwhile, players who have spent their careers with the Panthers will be left remembering their brief 2012 playoff run and wondering how long they’ll have to wait for their next postseason game.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 0
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights