Mar 11, 2013, 8:02 AM EST
Is the 2013 campaign just a bump in the road in the Florida Panthers’ rebuilding process or was the 2011-12 campaign a fluke?
Either way, after making the playoffs in 2012 for the first time in over a decade, the Florida Panthers are dead last in the NHL.
Matthias was drafted by Detroit in 2006, but was traded to Florida before he ever got to play a game in the Red Wings’ organization. Matthias has consequently spent his entire 231 game NHL career with Florida.
“We need to change things, turn this ship around,” Matthias added. “It’s frustrating and it has gone on long enough. They were ripe for the picking and we didn’t take advantage of it.”
Panthers GM Dale Tallon is reportedly ready to start trading, but given the Panthers’ record, he will likely prioritize the team’s future over this season.
Meanwhile, players who have spent their careers with the Panthers will be left remembering their brief 2012 playoff run and wondering how long they’ll have to wait for their next postseason game.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)