Mar 11, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT
Is the 2013 campaign just a bump in the road in the Florida Panthers’ rebuilding process or was the 2011-12 campaign a fluke?
Either way, after making the playoffs in 2012 for the first time in over a decade, the Florida Panthers are dead last in the NHL.
Matthias was drafted by Detroit in 2006, but was traded to Florida before he ever got to play a game in the Red Wings’ organization. Matthias has consequently spent his entire 231 game NHL career with Florida.
“We need to change things, turn this ship around,” Matthias added. “It’s frustrating and it has gone on long enough. They were ripe for the picking and we didn’t take advantage of it.”
Panthers GM Dale Tallon is reportedly ready to start trading, but given the Panthers’ record, he will likely prioritize the team’s future over this season.
Meanwhile, players who have spent their careers with the Panthers will be left remembering their brief 2012 playoff run and wondering how long they’ll have to wait for their next postseason game.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 101
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (101)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)