Mar 11, 2013, 12:43 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin may play under the NHL’s most powerful microscope. Whether deserved or media overkill, it’s hard to think of another player whose game is picked apart to the extent of the Washington captain’s. One day, he needs to knock off all the turnovers at the blue line. The next, he has to add more to his repertoire than cutting to the middle and shooting. Oh, and don’t forget to skate on to pucks in the neutral zone. Also, line changes — he needs to do those better, too.
Sunday’s 4-1 loss to the Rangers gave onlookers another play to scrutinize:
Ovechkin’s missed hit on New York forward Derek Stepan created a 3-on-2 for the Rangers, which New York quickly converted.
After the game, Caps coach Adam Oates was asked if it was the right play for Ovechkin to step up and attempt to nail Stepan.
“No. It’s not,” Oates said, per the Washington Post. “We have tracking rules, and I think he was gonna hit him and he let him go, and because of that we got a little out of position.”
The 10-13-1 Caps — currently seven points out of a playoff spot — host Carolina Tuesday.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 5
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 10
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 80
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (80)