Mar 11, 2013, 12:43 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin may play under the NHL’s most powerful microscope. Whether deserved or media overkill, it’s hard to think of another player whose game is picked apart to the extent of the Washington captain’s. One day, he needs to knock off all the turnovers at the blue line. The next, he has to add more to his repertoire than cutting to the middle and shooting. Oh, and don’t forget to skate on to pucks in the neutral zone. Also, line changes — he needs to do those better, too.
Sunday’s 4-1 loss to the Rangers gave onlookers another play to scrutinize:
Ovechkin’s missed hit on New York forward Derek Stepan created a 3-on-2 for the Rangers, which New York quickly converted.
After the game, Caps coach Adam Oates was asked if it was the right play for Ovechkin to step up and attempt to nail Stepan.
“No. It’s not,” Oates said, per the Washington Post. “We have tracking rules, and I think he was gonna hit him and he let him go, and because of that we got a little out of position.”
The 10-13-1 Caps — currently seven points out of a playoff spot — host Carolina Tuesday.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)